Existing Member?

Shells Travelling Adventures Snap shot of my life in Canada!

Calgary - our new home

CANADA | Monday, 12 April 2010 | Views [386]

And more

And more

We arrived in Calgary on the 28th March, found a motel to stay in. Got up and went to my interview that was for a Sales Management position which turned out to be just another gay sales job. I walked out half way through.

Searched the net for jobs and places to live for the rest of the day. Couldn't find any campgrounds open so parked up in a residential area for the night. Cos it's still so cold no one goes camping (except us haha) so heaps of stuff is closed which is freakin annoying but all good. Had a pretty shit day with things not happening for us, grrrrrr!

Woke up with two emails to look at houses so we checked them both out. One was real far away but had more room and the other was right in the city but was a share house and you get your own room. They were the same price so I asked the one bedroom basement people to reduce the price from $600 and they put it at $500 so we moved in the next day. Had a few drinks in our new whare. Bloody stoked to have more room to move around than just the 3m x 6m of the van ha.

The next few days was pretty much spent looking for jobs and sussing stuff out. Got a temp job handing out gum in a supermarket for two weekends. Paying $15 an hour which is super good for here. So did that on Saturday and Sunday of Easter weekend. The weekend set us back heaps for jobs which was annoying but just relaxed and did nothing really.

Went out to the local bars in town for a few drinks on Easter Sunday ha. Hardly anything was open but the stirp we were on looked pretty sweet. Will be going there again on a normal night.

Had an interview to work in a retail gift store on Wednesday the 7th. Went real well. Got a call the next day saying I got the job so I went in and did the paper work etc. Start Monday which will be good. They sell things like pens, lighters etc that you engrave so I'll be learning how to engrave which will be neat. Fun to learn something new. It's only $12 per hour but that's real good for here. They are starting me on more than usual cos they want me to progress to be a manager. Will have to let them down nicely when I leave ha, I'll feel real bad though.

Went to the local mall to hand out CV's to get a job close and had a coffee shop call me straight away for an interview. Went back the next morning and that went well too.

Friday we were chilling out at home and it started snowing brrrrrrrrrrrrr!! It's still so freezing here.

Stoked, we found company that you get 60GB of internet for only $9.95 per month. It's high speed too. So we now have the net at home. Makes it so much cheaper cos they charge you $5 per hour in internet cafes here.

Worked handing out the gum yesterday and today. Got a call this morning from the coffee shop and they want me to work park time so I'll suss out my roster tomorrow at the retail store and see if it works. Hopefully it does cos the coffee shop is just down the road so I can walk there.

Marsh has been doing a temp job for the last 3 days building frames to put glass in. He has a interview for a forklift position tomorrow morning so hopefully he gets that and then we are sorted for the next few months.

Forgot to put that I saw Vince Vaughn at the supermarket the first day I handed out the gum.

Also the petrol is crazy cheap here, only 94.9cents and we get 3.5cents off with the shopping so it's only 91. Stoked cos the van takes soooooooooooo much gas. 

It was snowing again this morning and it's meant to stay for the next day or so, brrrrrrrrrr it's half way through spring and it's -2 degrees.

Tags: a job and some fun as always, in search of a house

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.