Existing Member?

Shells Travelling Adventures Snap shot of my life in Canada!

Road Trippin' - Revelstoke to Banff

CANADA | Saturday, 10 April 2010 | Views [913]

Second one - little bit off trail but was worth it

Second one - little bit off trail but was worth it

So we got to Revelstoked on the 18th March and parked up outside my friend from uni, Allan. His girlfriend I used to go to school with, Fi and their flat mate, Ari it turned out I also used to go to school with. Backed the van in a plugged into their power so we were toasty warm at night, bloody stoked cos it was pretty chilly still.

Had some drinks that night and went out to a bar called the Last Drop. One of my other friends from school Sam was there for a few drinks too. Was crazy catching up with people I hadn't seen since I left for uni.

Got up the next day, hung over and went riding. Found out that only the top half of the mountain was open - 2 charis and about 10 runs, pretty gay but they just didn't have enough snow. You had to get the gondola down, no ski out at all ha. Revelstoke is so steep, there's pretty much no learner and intermediate runs which would be saweeeet if it wasn't so freakin icey. Had a few runs and then stacked it massively. I think I had a bit of whip lash cos my next still hurts a bit now when I move certain ways.

Just chilled out for the rest of the weekend, seeing the sites haha. There's actually nothing to do there except go snowboarding.

Went looking for work on Monday and discovered this is a town of 8,000 people that is seasonal. We arrived at the wrong time - end of snow season and too early for summer. Pretty much decided we would need to go to a bigger place so Calgary was the next place on the map. My boots from Evo had been sent that day but would take a few days so we had to wait around for them which was annoying but had to be done cos my feet were getting real sore wearing boots too small up the mountain all the time.

Monday night went to D12 - only four of them were there. Was only $10 and only about 150 people there but was a sweet gangster night out haha.

Went applying for jobs in Calgary on Tues 23rd March. Went riding on Wed, it was pretty icey again but slushy by the end of the day. Had more fun cos I wasn't hung over ha, hate riding when I'm hung over.

Thurs arvo the boots arrived and we left straight away for Banff. The drive was amazingly beautiful, the mountains were so massive. There was avalanches everywhere, some probably controlled. Started getting dark and we wanted to drive in teh daylight so we could see the pretty scenery so we stopped in a provincial park camp ground for the night. Stoked cos it had showers and power (lots don't).

Woke up to it snowing so quickly got up and went up the mountain. Was about 5cm fresh snow but you would still hit icey patches underneath. Still it was one of the better days we have had. I started learning switch too. Did three runs and could link turns so I was stoked. Left after a full day in the new boots with no sore feet at all, YAY!! Stopped and stole a shower at the camp ground and headed to Banff.

Got to Banff on 27th Sat and meet my old flat mate Yvette at her work. Went and had dinner by this river. Went for a walk in the bush and saw a beaver in the river, was real neat. Waited to get a photo but it didn't come back out from under the ice shelves.

Had some drinks at Yvettes and went out to a couple of bars. Just a mello one. Got up for a half day up Sunshine. So many bloody people up there, we had to park half way down the hill and get the bus up. The snow was so nice compared to BC mountains. Went all over the mountain - did some park, and a couple of hikes.

Got back and realise that my other old flat mate, Annabel was still living in Banff too so sent her an email and she called real soon after to meet us out. Went out for dinner at Yvette's work cos it was 40% off. Had a way bigger night. So neat to catch up with them both.

Sunday went out to the frozen waterfalls. Was amazing, was snowing while we walked. It was crazy icey and the walk was like an hour long. Meet up with Yvette flattie and some of their friends there. I had my sweet gumboots on which saved me from slipping at all, stoked ha. Got back and drove the 130km to Calgary for my "Sales Management"job interview.

Tags: snowboarding, visiting peeps and drinking

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.