Existing Member?

Michael's Small World

That's Me!bourne again (via Canberra and Sydney)

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 7 August 2007 | Views [2508] | Comments [1]

G’day all, welcome to another installment of my blog. What has changed since I last wrote all of about 2 weeks ago? On the face of it not much. I am in the same city and in the same internet café writing on Word processor, and once again uploading photos onto the interweb (Blatant plug:  www.flickr.com/photos/mayo_on_chips/). Well, its been the most laid back of my entire trip so far. After 4 months of being on the move, dealing with overexcited teenagers/hustlers/taxi drivers (all three sometimes, Ho, ho ho, Gawffle, Gawffle(!) ), on the Kiwi bus, thru the rushed schedule of north east India. Things have calmed right down.

 Melbourne Street Graffiti

OK, so Australia isn’t the best place to settle down in terms of a travelers budget, especially not on AU$25 a night, but at the moment it is a combination of charm that Melbourne exudes, and my desire not to rush anything. This is why I have extended my trip to leave on the 1st of September bound for Hong Kong. A month behind schedule, heh, but home will always be there, right?

 Melbourne Graffiti

As I am back in Melbourne, you could say they have gone backwards. I made my way up to Canberra two weeks back to visit Canberra, Australian Capital territory to visit Andrew, a traveler I had met and gotten on very well with in India. I made the train by all of about 10 seconds by account of still being pissed from the night before which had only officially ended 4 hours prior to me stepping on to the carriage. I woke from my bunk in the morning having slept on some sausages I had ought earlier in the market the day before.  But yes, seeing Andrew in ACT was cool. Sharing a hobby in photography helped, and once again a memory card filled up- yes, even in a city like Canberra, one that resembles harrow on a Tuesday night. I had a good weekend, and if you’re reading this Andrew, my humble thanks once again for inviting me into your home, and Flickr gala, the fruits of which lay above. I also tried Kangaroo meat. Yeah, I went there, Skippy. It was gamey, and liable to drying out if overcooked but it comes recommended- and a fact for you- the Australian Crest is the only in the world where you can eat both animals represented on it. You’d be hard pressed to find a unicorn, lest eat a lion on ours. The French might find a way with the former, mind. All Aussies I have spoken to about it since have been disgusted with me.

 Andrew, National War memorial, Canberra, ACT

I was also in Sydney for about 10 days and the weather visibly picked up from raining sideways (here), to T-shirt weather (even if you had to smuggle raisins). It was nice there too- but I have to add that the Aussies don’t have a leg to stand on with the Sydney Opera House not being in the modern wonders of the world list. Contender one: The Great Wall of China- the only man made thing seen from space, and it keeps a Chuck Norris led invasion at bay. Contender two: Sydney Opera House- 80s kitch made with over 1000 Ikea whit bathroom tiles. Do the Math……s. Harbour bridge, however, is fandabadozzy.

 

Anyways, I am hoping that those who read this are fine and dandy. I am not missing you, but I do occasionally think about how nice it would be to share a particular moment and place, or a schooner of beer.

 

Much love,

 

Michael xx

 

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

Those I spray AU stickers are awesome. I see them everywhere. Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane. I Have seen them in really random places like far North Queensland.?? Do you know who it is?

  Mike Dec 12, 2007 9:14 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.