Existing Member?

Michael's Small World

India: Part 1, Arrival

INDIA | Sunday, 25 March 2007 | Views [1363] | Comments [4]

Evening all,

I have arrived safely for those that were worrying about that plane that crashed in the Himalayas a few days back (Edit: In retrospect, this is probably not the most tasteful of sentences. It's like sticking your thumb up a crocodiles bum and seeing what he will do. Pls Ignore.). Its been a relatively eventful few days. That thing I was on about earlier with the travel shock hitting me, apart from semi regurgitating my non-existent breakfast, I must say I have taken it in my stride so far. Ok, so I met up with the Intrepid group on my second day, but Delhi is a city that stops for no-one, and ever since I stepped off the plane, I have felt like a walking bulls eye, with people saying “Arigato” to me at every corner of Connaught Place (sic).

Nothing massive of note, as I am sure the formalities of what I have eaten and seen will interest you as much as Paint watching varnish dry. Those who are interested though should note that a McMaharaj Burger is as deeply repugnant and as deeply unfulfilling as the Big Mac et al at home (The chicken patties are Orange FFS). The Thali’s however have been magnificent.

True to the name of my blog, Michael’s Small World, I was having a coffee when an Irish Traveller by the name of Finn (Female, and not of the Gypsy variety) stoked up convo. Small worlds collided, as she has been moving across India for the past 5 weeks, having taken a 7 week break from work, in guess where? Sweet Lord, she only works at Brent Council, social services on the High Road. Whatajoke… I pissed my pants. Arranged to meet her in the evening for drinks at nine. When I showed up, I waited for 40 minutes (with paranoid delusions that her and her buff Swiss boyfriend were going to mug me for the 10,00 Rupees I had just changed), then left. The next morning I knew why. I was late for my group meeting as it turned out that I had been living in India half an hour behind everyone else. Its 5.5hrs forward, not 5. If on the off chance that you’re reading this, Finn (someone from brent track her down, will you?), “Ha! You didn’t get the chance to Mug me!” ;o)

If you’re still reading this, I have been to the following places: Raj Ghat (MG’s resting place), A Sikh temple, a spice market, a carpet factory, Red Fort (Agra) and the Taj Majal (in Agra, not Ealing). Its pretty cool, in a paradoxical “I built this for my favorite wife, but ended up in prison afterwards for my efforts” kind of way. And it’s bloody massive. Been snapping away like mad.

 

Anyways, tootle-pip. Down to Orcha 2moro followed by a river boat tour down the Ganges.

Michael x

ps- England Are Cack...0-0, WFT???

 

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hi babes!!

Oh my god i cant believe you have done it! Im so pleased and proud of you! Its sounds amazing! You will meet your wife out their and if not remember i am your insurance policy if were not married by 30!

Feeling better a week on from my op, they are not sure if the pre cancerous cells will be deffo gone and have to keep going back all the time for check ups but better pervention than cure!

Its cold and dreary here at the moment and im not sure what time your on? Keep me uodated, loads of love.

Always

Ria

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Ria Davey Mar 26, 2007 2:37 AM

2

what! you havn't been to chirag delhi? Not that there's much in that area, but it does share its name with your good bud.

  chirag Malde Mar 26, 2007 3:12 AM

3

Really good to hear you're still alive somewhere! How are you liking Intrepid? My Vietnamese group were awful but loved my Thailand group to bits. I think it'll be really good for me to read your blog, to realise that there is so much I want to do and must do at some point.

Another wkend nearly gone- but baby sylvie is coming round tonight!...oooh and 24 is on...how will you cope? x

  Rodania Mar 26, 2007 3:48 AM

4

mikey babes am loving yr blog u truly shld become a writer.....it sounds absolutely amazing all dat u have done.......sssoooooooo jealous but so proud u r a true trooper.........keep the blog going cos my god it's the most interesting read i have read in ages........anyway business as usual here and work as usual since u been gone i've hardly been in the country......doing as much travelling as u but in luxury as usual..........and believe it or not i am missing u loads and loads and u r in my thoughts every day.............no news here but if there is will defo keep u updated........hope to catch u soon in the nxt coming months..........love u lots as usual and am here if u need anything...........big hug xxxxxxx

  mun mun Apr 10, 2007 4:02 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.