Existing Member?

Michael's Small World

Onward Kathmandu....

NEPAL | Saturday, 7 April 2007 | Views [1228] | Comments [7]

Today marked the end of the Intrepid tour that I have been following for the past two weeks. It was a muted affair, as I woke up to see the group off, remaining in Kathmandu for the next 10 days before my GVI placement starts on the 17th.

It’s been a hectic first few days. With the tour in general, its crammed a lot into very little time that we have, sacrificing certain things, one of which is my beloved sleep, but this has been a good thing, even if I am at my worst without some kip. Since my last article, I have been in Chitwan National Park, south Nepal. That involved a 2 day trek in the wilderness trying to spot Rhino’s, sloth bears, and Bengal tigers. We didn’t see a single thing past the first 5 minutes of the trek. This wasn’t helped by the fact that we mainly walked on tracked roads as opposed to through the bush. I didn’t complain- the jungle wasn’t made for a city boy like me. I didn’t expect pavements, but even requesting a personal guide called Nehtaj providing shade and an electric fan was apparently too much to ask for. Still, it was worth doing. I may yet be posted back there for the placement, though I kind of hope not cos it’s well hot there. The elephant trek and subsequent elephant bathing were much more fun. What a bunch of brilliant animals, proper gentle they were. The breeding farm we saw the next day was even better with loads of little Dumbo's bowling around with their little trunks sniffing around for biccies.

Headed to Kathmandu the next day. 180miles....it took 8 hours. It was a hellish ride, and as the Lonely planet states, you’ve not had a true travel experience until you’ve had a near death experience on local transport. I mean, the driver cruised at 3mph deliberately to give us a better view of a bus crash over the mountain side. All we saw was a charcoaled husk of a bus similar to ours, 300ft below the road, with three pylons missing on the road above. It’s been 2 days, and I am still not laughing about it. Much. On our last night we ended up in a Nepalese club called Space. I’ll give it to Intrepid, it was a very local experience, not a farang in sight. Loads of Black Eyed Peas, Nepalese Euro inspired Trance, and Gwen Steffani. I resisted showing the locals the Peter Crouch Robot. It would been too much for a crowd that grunted “Uhh!! Uhh!! Yeh...! Uh! Yeh!!” to the songs, in their bandana wrapped noggans and Eminem pastel t-shirts.

Spk sn, would be good to hear of owt happening at home.

M x

Tags: Mountains

Comments

1

what's been happening at home?...

long weekend! hurrah! did karaoke 3 times this week (w/different ppl before you ask!)

was aked out via facebook... ha ha!

and...about to pop out to see my uni friend over from ny.

am loving your blog....keep it going! x

  ro Apr 8, 2007 1:55 AM

2

Hey Chan, sorry I haven't had a chance to post any comments until now, but I have been keeping up with the blogs!! Glad to hear everything's going well. Sounds like you've been a busy bee!! I must say, I'm really proud of you and glad you finally made it!!

Things are going pretty well here, and surprisingly, the weather has been pretty good. Just enjoying the Easter Break. New job's going well, really varied and busy, but I'm enjoying it.

Anyhow, I'm keeping tabs on you through your blogs. Stay safe and most of all, enjoy!!

Luv ya loads, take care xx

  Princess Francis Apr 8, 2007 3:28 AM

3

So funny... pretty bad at waking up are the Chan's, bet your missing a nice piece of steak too!!!! 2 days looking for Rhino’s, sloth bears, and Bengal tigers and nothing, damn!!! I could have shown you those on series 1 espisode 3 of Planet Earth. Didn't need to rough it bru!!

Little Dumbos must have taken you back to when you were little.... you used to make us watch at least 5 times a day when you were little... (tv hogging sh!t). What biccies did they like best? Don't suppose you had many M&S finest traditional Scotish caramel covered stone oven baked shortcake..mmmmmmmmm

Anyway good luck with the placement.. what you going to be doing for the next 10 days? Bet it will involve hunting down a place with ESPN..

Right got to go am going to have some cheesecake now and prepare the steaks for the barbie tmw ; )

  DiLow Apr 8, 2007 7:41 AM

4

M,

I love reading your entries - start out so poetic and invariably end with good ol'Wembley coming out in you!

What a great opportunity you have! Savour every moment!

A

  Adam Adrien-Kirby Apr 8, 2007 7:59 PM

5

Just got on and read all your entries there. They are very good. I must say I like the Peter Crouch thread that seems to be running through a few of them. I reckon you should make that a regular thing. You could theoretically ponder on how Peter Crouch may feel as he gazes upon the ganges etc etc. In fact you could do the whole narrative as if peter crouch was there with you, like some lanky, fairly skillful, imaginery friend.

I spent most of the time since you left for your travels playing champ manager so I am very jealous and feeling a little ashamed. I hope the travelling is okay now that you left the group. The moral seems to be to stay away from public transport.
Anyway, have a good one son.
adam

  Adam Lewis Apr 9, 2007 7:51 PM

6

Nice work junior, look forward to reading you're continuing adventures - good luck with the placement!

Cheers,

  jirrupin Apr 10, 2007 7:15 PM

7

Hi Michael

Sounds like you are having a great time, have fun and be safe. All is well in training admin, not the same without.

Pauline

  Pauline Apr 12, 2007 11:44 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.