Existing Member?

Michael's Small World

Franz Joseph to Here

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 4 July 2007 | Views [811] | Comments [2]

Kia Ora all, sweet as, etc, hope things are well with thee. This will probably be the final entry for the blog for New Zealand as I am due to leave these shores for Melbourne, Oz in a few days. In fact I should have been there already but I have already delayed my flight twice. The second of which was this morning as me and a travelling buddy missed the wake up call. Turns out it was 8am not 8.30am. So there we were still rubbing sleep out of our eyes faced with killing time. The irony of which is not lost given that we had spoken only yesterday about how good another day in Welly would have been. Today I have been on the internet and had a wicked afternoon nap.

Anyway, I am rambling. How are we all? June being the buzz month in terms of music in the UK, I trust some readers of the blog have had a fantastic Muse at Wembley and Glastonbury 2007? I was there in spirit but you know how these things are, I was too busy climbing a glacier, sailing down Fjords etc. LOL, no seriously, its been nice here since I last wrote, but I did have a hankering for home at those times, and when I just fancied a bit of Chinese food. Since my last entry we went to Queenstown after being snowed in Franz Joseph for 5 days. A snow-in that was only soothed by being upgraded to a family suite. Underfloor heating and drinking tea out of wine glasses is not something to smirk at as a backpacker, as we lorded it over our fellow travellers. Queenstown is the Adrenaline Capital of NZD (the world?), but having done the bungee and canyon swing in Nepal already for U$100, I couldn't bring myslef to pay NZD300 for something that was from a lower height. I settled for the FlyByWire, where they strap you into a fan propelled plane, winch you up a cliff face,and let you steer 160Kmp like a pendulum across the gorge. While not stomach losing, it certainly was a lot of fun.

Queenstown was also the place where the Kiwi Bus passengers tended to go on their separate ways and it was a shame to leave people that you were travelling with for the past few weeks. In particular, the crew that I was stuck with in Franz Joseph as we had loads of jokes. Still, all good things they say, and I am glad to have been sad to say goodbye than to be be glad they are gone. Still, I will see a couple of peeps back in Melbourne for the great ocean road.

So half way through my trip- any thoughts? Not really to be honest. Nepal and India seems like a far flung memory which I recall on a regular basis either through the photos I took, or in the journal entries I made, and I am coming to the end of another chapter of the journey in the beautiful NZ. Its been a fantastic few months and has been a great experience so far, one which thankfully does not seem to be ending anytime soon. I dreamt of being at home yesterday and while I don't imagine it'd be too difficult settling back in, I am just as settled being on the move.

Speaking of photos, do check out my snaps either on the photos section of this blog:http://journals.worldnomads.com/michael_chan/gallery/3702.aspx, on my Flickr.com site:http://www.flickr.com/photos/88203500@N00/, or just on my Facebook Pages.

Cheerio,

Mx

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

Hiya, There is a World Nomads group on facebook that you can join, that has many other people from this website.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2602615796

There is also a World Nomads group on Flickr
http://flickr.com/groups/worldnomads/

Cheers,

  simon_monk Jul 13, 2007 12:04 PM

2

I am sure you wont have a problem settling in back home as I am sure your mum is eager to pamper you when u get back!!!! Dats if you ever come back cos from reading your blog and yes I am one of your blog fanatics you are having too good a time...Be good to see how much u have changed when u do get yr arse back to the UK! Weather here has been shit but like u am not here enuff to really complain...British Summer eh? Wot summer? Mike in the words from your older cuz I am soooo proud of u and the journey u have taken u are one brave boy to do all the things u have done, told u b4 never thought u would have a problem travelling out there on your own look at all the amazing adventures u have had and not forgetting the lady boy pics...who woulda thought hey u looking like ONE HOT CHICK even with a brigette hairstyle only u cld get away with dat! LOL, love u lots big hug xx

  Mun Mun Jul 19, 2007 2:42 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.