Existing Member?

Michael's Small World

Lilac Skies, Bacon Steak and Cheese Pies

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 19 June 2007 | Views [1066]

Bollocks. 

I just deleted a huge chunk of eloquent paragraph detailing my second entry of my time here in New Zealand. Fucking Internet. Here I roll again. Bastard.

Greetings once again from the glacier town of Franz Josef. For the fanatic suscribers of this sporadic and intriguing blog, here is the second log of my time in this beautiful country. Internet access has been hugely available and reasonably prices, but such is the pace of the Kiwi bus that I have not been able to write as often while we hastily hurtle guiltily down the west coast. For this is a beautiful country. The comparissons made by many about the similarities in climate and scenery to England are justified to a certain extend but only skims the surface of what the country has to offer. From the rolling hills of the River Valley and Mount Doom (ASO Lord of the Rings) to the serene lakes of Taupo and Rotorua reflecting the surrounding landscape so steeped in geological history and volcanic activity, and the magmanamous Franz Josef glacier which I will be scaling tomorrow (climbing it with pick axes and ice boots). Though perhaps my favourite has been the incredible sunsets here, viewed from all of NZD. The contrast in landscape that it imposes on is breathtaking. On one side you have the burning orange pastal flaming the horizon being held up by the deathly silouttes of the trees below, and behind you, the pale lilac skies, fading into the dark blue sky. The cold sharp air adds to the feeling of fading day which two nights ago was accompanied by the thinnist slither of moon, revealing its renewed cresent. Gorgeous just doesn't descibe it.

And so the Kiwi bus adventures roll though guiltily along the west coast of the south Island, which in many ways I feel that I am doing it injustice by rushing it. Still, I have enjoyed it so far. It was difficult at first to adjust to the hostel lifetyle of living in dorms with 4-12 people, and generally reliving a the hell of cooking with electic hobs. And by and large the people are not hugely intriguing as many are 19 year old gappers on their continuous friday night activities, followed by the post mortem of how pissed they got last night. Nonetheless, the people I have met and stuck with are cool, and I have been getting along with them very well indeed. The dynamic of the bus is that you tend to miss people as they stay on and you leave, only to catch up with them days later. Two days ago we met up with some members of our original bus and last night the bus had a party in one of the hicksville towns. Theme: Cross Dressing. I will post pictures with a heavy heart worryingly because I was getting comments of me looking like a lady boy and being a bit too convincing (its all in the hips, boys). Even I must admit that I looked like one hot bitch. Think of a very short dress, tattoos, a goldie looking chain and a Bridget Nilsson hairstyle.

One. Hot. Bitch.

I haven't laughed so hard for a good while, especially when I was ushered off the by the barmaid off the pool table shouting "Git off the bloody pool table, thats [82 year old] Len's pride and joy!"

Anyways, thats me. How are things with you all- be glad to hear tales of the gorgeous British Summer that I pine for as I cuddle my hot water bottle on my moist rented duvet.

Mike x

Tags: Mountains

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.