Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

Return to Firenze

ITALY | Tuesday, 2 September 2008 | Views [568] | Comments [2]

You are so incredibly lucky that Chelsea sleeps on the train and consequently I have time to update my journal so frequently! The poor little girl is so tuckered out from walking around the beauty that is Italia (and likely her little bug).

After an interesting adventure at the Indian embassy (I guess I only spent about two hours at the embassy, which isn’t too bad) we were off to Firenze. I even have my passport – I need to bring it in in a week and they only keep it overnight to paste the baby in. Awesome. Anyway, Firenze.

We clambered onto a very full train to find that even though we selected seats we weren’t actually sitting next to one another, however the wonderful Italian people were happy to change around so we were kinda sitting next to each other. Finding the hostel was an adventure and a half. Well, more like half an adventure – we found the street easily enough…..the numbering went 2, 4, 6, 10, 8, 12. Our hostel was number 8, but this place looked empty. We tried knocking on the door and calling the phone, but got nothing. However, a lovely man from the shop at number 2 helped us find the correct number 8, which was after 14. Of course.

The place was cute and the staff were fantastic. Not only did we discover that there was wireless, but they feed you breakfast (even offered us eggs and bacon!) and even clean up after you. The owner was lovely in a semi-creepy kind of way, but everyone was so eager to make us feel at home. The only downside was that the mattresses were absolutely bloody terrible.

Anyway, I walked Chels into the city centre to gaze upon the splendour that is the Duomo. It rose above us as we turned the corner and made her utter a ‘whoah’ before having to sit down before she was sick. I had forgotten how huge the Duomo is: it looms over you spectacularly as you walk around and attempt to take it all in; eyes and photos. The now pastel colours on the outside beam at you softly as you move through the patterns and sculptural work on the outside. We arrived too late to walk through, but thought we’d do it the next morning.

The remainder of the afternoon we just wandered the streets of Firenze breathing in the atmosphere and thinking of what a wonderful world we live in. You know, that warm fuzzy contented feeling that annoys the crap out of everybody else. We walked across the bridge Ponte Vecchio and its expensive jewellery stores and watched the sun set over the Fiume. We also watched a smaller soccer match where one of the players was considerably older than the rest, and wore an appropriately labelled ‘maestro’ top. They, I mean, he was cute to watch.

After dinner we sat on the steps of a church on Piazza Santa Croce and watch the square come alive with locals emerging from the dissipating tourists. It was just lovely.

This morning we went to the Uffizi gallery, though we did have to wait for an hour and a half in line (though apparently you can wait up to 5 hours in high high season). We spoke to a Scottish woman who has been all over the world and we shared stories whilst we waited, which was nice.

We were only in the Uffizi gallery for an hour (this didn’t bother me because I haven already seen everything). It was nice to see Boticelli’s Venus again, but most of the paintings are Mary and Jesus and quite frankly I have seen enough of that to last me out the remainder of my years.

We then hopped across back to the Duomo and went inside briefly before heading across to the Galleria Academia, where David lives. He is still just breathtaking. Despite having seen him before, having looked at his replica in Piazza Signoria and being such a recognised sculpture, he still takes my breath away. His hands are just amazing – the nails, the tendons, the veins….I just think he’s great. Maybe not his hair. I imagine it’s hard to sculpt hair into marble.

So now we are on the train to Venice and Chels is still sleeping. Although she has been sick she can thankfully stomach gelati (now THAT’S a shame) and we’ll probably have to find some for her after we check into the hostel. That’s an even bigger shame. I HATE gelati. Especially Italian gelati. Pout for me….

Ciao!

XX


Firenze photos

 

Comments

1

Poor Chels, not fair being sick whilst on the big adventure. I wish photos could do David justice - I'd love to experience him as you have been (hmmm, that sounds vaguely well, pornographic)

  Sally Sep 3, 2008 5:01 PM

2

Hi Mel, I love reading your posts, even if I don't comment I'm still hanging on every word you write. Say a great big HELLO to your fam and tell them "No news on the home front". Poor Chels, hope she's better now.

  Gaylia Sep 4, 2008 8:15 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.