Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

A day in Roma

ITALY | Wednesday, 23 July 2008 | Views [754]

Where do I begin? I have lots to tell, so I might split this into two sections.

We arrived in Rome only for a couple of days so that Snuffy could put in his passport application so that we will be able to get visa applications and what not. We will be back in Rome at least twice each, so we weren’t that concerned about getting in. Well, our brains tried to tell us. But Andrew hasn’t been to Rome before and I have a secret, okay, a not secret love affair with it, so we eventually headed in for a day before flying out to Geneva.

It was still hot, and we discovered/remembered that Rome’s Metro system is not the vision of cleanliness and loveliness that Spain’s is. In my rose-coloured memories I had forgotten about how dirty Rome can be, but fortunately for our affair it adds an alluring darker element to its appeal. Anyway, the metro is not air-conditioned, which is okay going into the city (we were staying a little bit out of the centre), unless you have your packs on when it becomes a little intense.

Our hotel was fairly nice though – free wireless and breakfast and everybody spoke English, which turned out to be helpful because I’ve forgotten nearly all my Italian! Every time I tried to speak, only Spanish came out. Grrr!!! I hope that when I get back after a few days it will come floating back to me – so Chels, make sure you have your learning cap on because I’m going to be wanting to speak in a lot of Italian to get my old skills back!

One of the guys working there was disillusioned with Rome and with life in general, which was a little sad, but he made for great conversations. Turns out he speaks many languages – Romanian, Italian, French, German, English and Spanish to name a few. Didn’t even want to ask him about others. How is it that we are so deficient in this area in Australia? Sure I know we’re not surrounded by other countries like you are in Europe, but for crying out loud!!

Anyway, we took the metro into the city on our last day and I took Andrew to see the Colosseum, the Pantheon (my favourite!) and the Trevi fountain, of the main attractions. We didn’t go into the Colosseum, because we figured we’d do that later with family, but walked around it, looking through its mini-archways, at the Romans in dress flitting around the bottom looking for a photo from an eager tourist and at the adjacent Constantine’s Arch.

We walked randomly for an hour or so, across to a Circus Maximus and then deciding to go up to my much-loved Pantheon. And still, four years later, I find it so breathtaking. She stands there elegantly, regal above the masses of tourists that flock between her columns and out before her. And still despite the large number of camera-wielding foreigners, she still manages to emanate a sense of awe and spirituality. Her massive marble columns and overwhelming (and near impossible) dome seem to beckon the heavens as she looms sacredly before you.

We finished our delicious and cheap lunch before heading inside to the colourful marble floors and walls; the dappled green and muted orange slabs amongst the normal creamy ones. To the left, you have the tomb of Raphael (amongst Italian kings) which people gather around to pay their respects. But what really stands out is the top – the dome and its oculus. An architectural wonder, I’m told – it is the largest non-reinforced concrete dome in the world, or something like that. The oculus lets in light (and despite what anyone may tell you, a small amount of rain) and gives the entire place a very consecrated feeling, even to an adamant atheist like myself.

After eventually tearing myself away from it (well, Andrew did the tearing) we walked across to the Trevi fountain, but not before passing a column that I can’t remember the name of or its significance. I’m hoping Annapedia will help…When we got to the Trevi fountain it was, like always, smothered in tourists. However, our good fortune meant that it started raining fat drops and everybody scattered. Wanting photos and to cool down, we took a few snaps before cautiously heading on – the cobblestoned paths had lost ALL grip and the rain had make it like walking on ice.

We passed the four fountains – no Spunk, the fountain of four rivers, but one that I don’t remember seeing last time – four little fountains on each corner of an intersection, which was a precarious task getting their photos, I tell you!

After that we essentially headed into the train station and off to catch our flight to Geneva. And of Switzerland? Well…….

Rome photos

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.