Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

Hasta luego, España

SPAIN | Sunday, 20 July 2008 | Views [912] | Comments [1]

Well, it’s time to finally farewell my time in Spanish speaking countries. After 3 months of being able to understand what people have been saying, I’ll be heading into the unknown (minus a stint here and there in Italy) and will become yet again the stupid tourist. This time, however, I will hopefully pick up a few useful phrases in French and German to help me out, for the time being.

Had a pretty crappy end to the country with Iberia, their national airline today. Not only have they changed their system of checking in so that you HAVE to use the auto-check in machines, but they made Andrew and I go through our bags. The main annoying thing was that because the silly woman at STA booked our tickets separately we were not seated together. Doesn’t matter that our tickets are linked, or that usually when you rock up more than 2 hours before your flight they just rearrange seats and put you together. Nope, everyone was allocated a seat and that was final. Grrr….Yet, they didn’t check our passports ONCE. Sure, I know we’re going from one EU country to another, but what the?? Plus, they only put up the boarding gate 20 minutes before boarding. Stupid dummy dumb heads. Add to that my ticket had to be stopped and entered manually for some stupid reason, and I was pretty much fuming when I got onto the plane.

By sheer luck, we were rearranged on the plane – I was shifted four rows back and then Andrew was asked to move a row forward – next to me! Couldn’t believe it. Made up a little for the crap they put us through.

Anyway, we’re off to Rome for a couple of days whilst Andrew lodges his application for a new passport, then we’re heading to Geneva, Switzerland! Hope you all had a good weekend.

Spain’s Bottom Five

5. How damn bloody expensive everything is.

4. Their brutal obsession with bulls

3. The at times searing heat when you don’t have air conditioning in your room.

2. The Spanish obsession with meat – give me some vegies PLEASE!

1.Iberia, national carrier– you suck.

Spain’s Top Five.

5. Fantastic metro systems in main cities – save a bucketload of dosh.

4. The beautiful language (despite being all lispy)

3. Gaudy Gaudi in Barcelona

2. Cathedral and Alcazar in Seville

1. Walking around the cities in the warmth (not getting burnt) admiring gorgeous architecture.

Comments

1

Spain is a magical place! I studied there for month in 2003, was def. the best month of my life... up until these past two months that is.

  devinashley Jul 20, 2008 7:19 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.