Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

Toronto and Niagara Falls

CANADA | Monday, 11 February 2008 | Views [703] | Comments [1]

I've spent a few days in Toronto, and have nothing to really report on it. I am a boring shit! I have been mostly working, so except for a couple of walks, I haven't really done much. Toronto has a kind of a Melbourne feel to it, I guess you could say it's just another city (though I might say it quietly so no Torontians come and hit me over the head).

Snuffy came here on the weekend, and we went for a bit of a walk through the city. We went to the St Lawrence Market, which was quite similar to the Vic Market, but inside. We had some great crepes though!

We then went to the Hockey Hall of Fame (boys!), which was okay. The two highlights were playing foos-hockey (and me totally kicking his ass {okay so I won 2-1 and he accidentally potted one of those goals, but geez! What's with you and the facts and logic and stuff...}) and the place where the Stanley Cup was kept was an old bank so you could see all the old mechanics of a vault door. Awesome. Somehow I don't quite think I was supposed to find those two things a highlight.

The next day we went to Niagara Falls, which was freaking cold! The actual temperature wasn't too bad (about -12), but the wind chill packed a punch of -25, which is enough to sear my hands every time I took out the camera to take a photo.

It was gorgeous, with the ice and the mist, but unfortunately it was so cold out there we did walked up and down the path, took a few photos, and scooted back to the indoors.

The town worth talking about though - when you drive in, it seems like a reasonably large country town/city, something not unlike Bendigo or something smaller (not as small as Swanny). But, a regular country town/city. Then, you turn a corner and hit TACK-TACULAR TOURIST CENTRAL!! Haunted houses, Ferris Wheel, Lego-building place. It's so gaudy and tacky it's hilarious. If it hadn't been so cold (and not really wanting to waste money), it might have been a bit of fun to walk around and do crappy things. But, (un)fortunately, we had to get back so Snuffy could catch his flight back.

Before we did that though, we went to a Flutterby Sanctuary a few kilometres north of the Falls, which was awesome. Not really different to the Butterfly House in Melbourne Zoo, but I haven't been there since I was a kid, and I like flutterbies!

So now, I am just sitting in my hostel, thankfully completed my unit of work, and wondering what to do next. I'm making a day trip to Ottawa tomorrow, so I don't plan on having a late night (my train leaves at 6:30 in the morning; why I do this to myself, I don't know).

Hope you're all having fun at work!

Toronto photos

Niagara Falls photos

Tags: Sightseeing

 

Comments

1

Love Toronto and Niagara, you in my territory now girly

  Lauren Mar 19, 2008 12:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.