Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

Viva Las Biodome!

CANADA | Saturday, 9 February 2008 | Views [1099]

Viva Las Biodome!!

Ah, good times. If you don't understand, I don't want to be your friend anymore. Or, seems as only 2 people I know will only get it, think C-grade films. Not just any C-grade film. A PAULY SHORE C-grade film. Oh yeah baby. Bidome. Get it up ya.

I'll try not to write too much, because the photos tell the story, but...

It was really damn cool. Four separate habitats and animals from all over the world. Much cooler than the zoo - most animals were within patting distance and had free range. The first habitat was a tropical forest, the highlights being the ever-inquisitive roseate spoonbill and the world's largest parrot, the hyacinth macaw. The two-toed sloth would have been a highlight if the bastard wanted to be in view.

The next habitat was a temperate forest of some description, with sleeping porcupines and ever-elusive beavers, and then a coastal habitat with winged-rats. Who gets excited about seagulls? Brazilians, apparently.

Lastly there was an Antarctic habitat, with strange, strange penguins. One was just frolicking in the turbid water, riding the current over and over and over.....

Others were standing stockstill with their fins out....captivated by something. Or sleeping, either way.

After the Biodome we headed across to the insectarium, which was just as cool. A mixture of dead and alive collections, it was a great experience! I finally got to see leaf-cutter ants. It was just amazing to watch them run back and forth with leaf material. No more docos for me, I've seen 'em!!

Then, as I'm sure you're aware, was the really gross bit. Palpitations? Check. Sweaty palms? Check. Difficulty breathing? Check. Excellent. I was ready for the tarantula exhibit. Roughly a dozen live specimens, plus a disgustingly large bird eating spider (dead, thank God!). I flipped out, took a short video, but exposed myself to it. Rose and Natalia thought it was hilarious, but I certainly didn't. Game over man, game over!

So, I went straight back to the butterfly exhibit and looked at the pretty. Not too much else to report, the photos are up, they tell it all really.

You know I've gotta say it again....

Viva Las Biodome!!!

Bidome photos

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.