Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

An insight from The Hunger Games

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 2 May 2012 | Views [357]

I have recently caught onto the feverish obsession that is The Hunger Games. Was slightly late jumping on board, but since watching the movie I have read (well to be honest listened – I love audio books) to the three books that make up the series and then watched the movie a second time (when movies only cost $3-$2 to see, plus it being boiling outside and the cinema is set to refrigerator temperature it doesn’t take too much coaxing to attend)

The second time watching the movie was even more enjoyable then the first. Guess I understood the plot more, was more sold into the lives of the characters, the deep themes and the dark picture of what mankind has become in this twisted and black post-apocalyptic world.

This clip from the movie is one that really got me thinking. The cruel antagonist, President Snow, elaborates the necessity of only having one winner. While pruning a delicate white rose he explains the reason behind these gruesome games,

Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.”

There is so much truth to this. The more hope we have in God, in His goodness, provision, protection and sovereignty, the more dangerous we are to Satan the king of fear. Fear holds us back - hope gives us something to aim towards, sets free ties of helplessness and doubt. Hope, closely linked with faith and love is such a driving force that makes the powers of darkness tremble.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:13

This is what Cambodia so desperately longs for. They are crippled by the weight of poverty, suppressed by the powers of corruption and burdened by the ever present fears in life. However, there is hope – be it even just a glimmer – and that can start the ball rolling towards change and a brighter future.

There is strength in hope, especially when that hope is in the victorious King of Kings that is faithful to all His promises.

Tags: god is good, reflections

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.