Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

How keys have increased my prayer life

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 11 September 2011 | Views [268]

Padlocks have become the bane of my existence. I am forever having to open or lock padlocks by bending my hand through a small square hole, reaching for the lock and carefully sliding my key inside. Sometimes it just takes one attempt and I rejoice in this. Other times I am on the brink of tears trying to master this gate opening exercise and praying that the Lord would guide my key so I don’t look more of a “dumb foreigner” than I already am.

There must be a knack to these things. Right now as I approach the gate, ready to make my arrival home, I start praying. It seems a little crazy but praying over the little things is just as important as praying over the big things. Right now what may seem as little issues to some are big anxiety builders for my mind and I need to hand them over to God rather than letting them cause extra stress in my life.

I pray as I walk along the street for the people I pass and for spiritual freedom in this nation. I pray as ready myself to find a moto taxi for a safe driver, one that will be fair with the price, understand me and know where he is going. I pray before a meal that it will bring health to my body rather than sickness. I pray as I walk to every class I teach for clear teaching, wisdom and responsive students. I pray before each time I need to speak Khmer that I will be understood and not make a fool of myself. I pray each time I listen to Khmer that my brain would suddenly work and I would understand whatever is being said rather than smiling, nodding and saying “Jah”. Anything that might bring on a bit of anxiety I try to rebound with an arrow prayer - quiet whispers from my heart asking for help no matter the need.

Lately my comes and goings have included more prayer and I am liking this new outlook. Sure beats worrying, though I must confess that anxiety still easily slips into my days of being outside my comfort zone – but hey I never admitted to being perfect.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

Now to work on saying thank you to God just as much as I say please (or maybe my prayers are more like "HELP!!!!").

Tags: im just here as the entertainment, praying harder

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.