Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Everyone loves a graduation day

CAMBODIA | Monday, 18 July 2011 | Views [164] | Comments [1]

It is a privilege to celebrate with friends their graduation from university. It is such a defining moment, to recognise the completion of their studies. It is a day where graduates get desked out with their acedemic dress and cap and receive their certificates, as proud parents glows with pride seeing their child walk up on stage after years of study and hard work.

On Sunday two of my dear friends, Vatanak and Vatha, had their graduation ceremony from Cambodian Mekong University and I was invited to join. Only in Cambodia would the advised time to arrive change 3 times in the space of four minutes via text messages and excited phone calls. And only in Cambodia would the proposed order and timing of things for the day be read aloud 30 minutes after the ceremony should have started. You have got to love Cambodian timing.

At the beginning of the whole ceremony the hall was mostly filled with students with guests sporadically seated at the back. I learnt that most guests don’t arrive until towards the end as I sat through monotone, English “inspirational” speeches which made me understand why. Flowers are the thing to bring for a graduation gift. Nearing the end of the service more guest had arrived and a sweet floral aroma filled the room.

Afterwards we took so many photos that I think we will all be seeing bright lights in our eyes for many days to come. I am so proud of these two brothers of mine. They are really inspiring people and have overcome so much adversity to get to where they are today.

With permission from Vatanak, I want to share his journy to this graduation day.

I had been a street boy who polishes shoes for people to earn some money for school, sell newspapers. My life was very hopeless. I actually grew up in a very low income family, couldn’t afford my school cost much. So, my brother and I had to find some work outside. As a young boy, I never imagine that I could go to a university to study. When I looked at privileged kids whose parents can support them for school, I started to see myself worthless, no value. Dad kept encouraging me to study even though he could help much with the expense on the study. I felt very sorry to see how hard he tried to support my study.

When I was in 9th grade, I wanted to give up my study and go look for a job for a living, attempting to leave my family. Just in time, one of my non-Christian classmates asked me if I was interested in participating English classes for free at a place where it is now my home church. There, I found God, love, peace, knowledge I never experienced in life, and there, I found hope, future. I began to know good friends, generous friends, loving friends, caring friends, helpful friends.

To be able to communicate with foreigners in English is one of my very biggest dreams. I always wanted to get up in the morning and know how to speak English.

Well, I am more than happy to share with you more about my life. Some of you might want to know what is next in my life.

I want to serve God with what I have been given. I have graduated from IT degree. I have been teaching English for unprivileged kids from provincial areas.

I am still happy in doing my current job , right now, working as ESL coordinator, but at the same looking for some training in IT , and English Training.

I just want to use my whole life to bring hope for people who got the same history as mine. I want my own fellow citizens to know God.

I believe greater things are yet to come for these two. God has magnificent plans for them, for them to be a blessing in this nation and to others around the world. I already admire the amazing things God is doing in their lives. Moments like this remind me how important it is to be serving in Cambodia.

Comments

1

Wow I never knew Vatanak's story, so good he has graduated!!

  Brodie Jul 23, 2011 10:24 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.