Existing Member?

Martin's Travel Journal Just a few photos and ramblings from my trips.

There and Back Again

INDONESIA | Sunday, 1 May 2011 | Views [469]

It was the best nights sleep I had enjoyed in quite some time and Amy and Dan's spare bedroom was welcome relief to the hostel beds I had slept in recently. When I woke it was mid morning in Jakarta. After sorting out my rucksack Dan and I relaxed and watched a film as Amy was at work. Later that afternoon Dan went to meet Amy at the embassy for the Queen's Birthday Party, so I stayed in the apartment to watch the royal wedding only popping out to get some dinner at the restaurant in the residence. The wedding was wonderful and did make me slightly homesick - though when the cameras focussed on Whitehall and the FCO I was reminded of work so that feeling soon evaporated! Immediately after the world had witnessed 'That kiss' I scurrie out of door and into a taxi to meet up with Amy and Dan for drinks. I was once again reminded of the Jakarta traffic as we slowly snaked our way down the highway into the centre of the city. We sat in a cocktail bar and drank into night discussing the past few weeks before drunkenly heading back to their apartment. The next morning Dan and I headed out for a massage (with Amy too hungover to join us) at the spa within their apartment complex. Afterwards the three of us headed to Pasaraya for some last minute shopping (aka buying some tat) and grabbing some lunch.  Soon though it was time for me to head to the airport, so I said my goodbyes and once again fought through the Jakarta traffic. I took my final opportunity to gaze at the hectic streets and beautiful Asian scenery before arriving at Soekarno Hatta airport to catch my flight to Dubai. Coming into land in Dubai was spectacular, with the city awashed with lights and the skyscrapers dominating tye skyline. Most impressive were the views of the Burj Khalifa the world's tallest building. I then had hours to waste in the way too expensive Dubai before my connecting flight back to London and, once again, the real world.

About martin_rix


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.