Existing Member?

Martin's Travel Journal Just a few photos and ramblings from my trips.

Halong Bay

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 26 April 2011 | Views [443]

A three hour drive east of Hanoi is Halong City - a costal town of little to no note but is the gateway to one of Vietnam's most spectacular sights.

Halong Bag is breathtaking. A thousand huge limestone rocks are scattered across the bay and have created a maze that we were due to venture through.

Floating villages, shops, bars and even banks litter the area around the rocks and tourist boats are not in short order.

In a tour organised through our hostel we set off. One coach journey later we arrived at the harbour and boarded a small boat that took us out to the Jolly Roger, our ship for the night.

We sailed into Halong Bay and at first the huge rocks, masked by a light mist, look eery in the distance but soon we were travelling past these spectacular sights. It is quite hard to describe exactly how impressive these are and the photographs we took did not do them justice.

The ship stopped in the centre of the bay where we dived into the water and swam in the bay before heading out in kayaks to explore.

We paddled to a large cave in one the rocks and explored into the darkness over the huge rocks hidden inside before making our way to one of the floating villages that even included a floating cash machine.

After returning to the boat we had dinner before partying into the night.

The next morning the ship sailed around some more of the bay before making its way back to Halong City.

Upon returning to Hanoi we tool dinner before relaxing with a quiet drink following the previous late nights.

 

About martin_rix


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.