Existing Member?

Martin's Travel Journal Just a few photos and ramblings from my trips.

Good Morning Vietnam

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 12 April 2011 | Views [581]

Whilst standing at the baggage reclaim belt at Tan Son Nhut Airport in Ho Chi Minh City I scrolled through my iPod trying to decide what would be the soundtrack to my first journey through the infamous roads of this city. I couldn't decide. Instead I settled for the deafening sound of motorbike engines and the chorus of car horns. All that I had read and seen about the traffic was true. As many vehicles clutter the streets here as in Jakarta, but without the constant jams of the Indonesian capital. Instead thousands of motorbikes hurtle in every direction and brave pedal cyclists look straight ahead.

Eventually though we reached De Tham - the backpacking district. Here I left my taxi and checked into my hostel. This was confusing. The hostel is split between 3 buildings all opposite one another. The one I was in required entering through a restaurant, up some rickety old stairs and then into my flea bidden room - it really was, as I found out the next morning. The door would not lock but thankfully I had brought a padlock with me so I decided to see it out for the night at least.

I headed out for a light-bite and some beers before retiring for an early night - though the lizard that kept running across the wall should have been a warning sign...! Waking up the following morning it seemed I had made some new friends in the night - the bed bugs really do bite. I decided to move hostels immediately. As my friends John and Hannah arrived the following day I decided to check out their hotel - after doing so I moved in at just $3 more a night.

After finally getting settled I set out to explore this loud but exciting city. Straight away I was more in love with these streets than Bangkok. Strolling north I visited the Reunification Palace, home to past Presidents of Southern Vietnam and was taken on a guided tour of a Presidential Home that looked more like a Bond Villains lair!

I then walked to the French influenced Notre Dame Cathedral before walking the length of Dong Jhoi towards the river Saigon, taking in the beautiful Son Square which is flanked by huge hotels and the Municipal Theatre.

After lunch I continued my walk to the Saigon, walking the banks from the statue of Tran Hung Dao before cutting back into the City to scale the 49 floors of the Bitexco Financial Tower to the SkyDeck for panoramic views of the city.

I walked north again through the busying streets as the sun finally broke free of the overcast clouds and covered me in scorching sunlight as I reached the wonderful architecture of the Ho Chi Minh City Museum. Sadly the exhibits and the upkeep of the grounds can not compare to the splendor of the building itself but at 80p entry fee one can not really complain.

That evening I headed out for dinner, booked for a dinner cruise along the Saigon River. I walked along the darkened riverside with the scream of traffic still deafening from behind. To my left ran boat after boat, moored waking to take their evening dinner guests on a journey along the Saigon. They were covered in garish coloured light, names in neon and one's bow lit up with the grin of a monster. I gladly kept walking to the end of the line of ships and there was mine, and old world vessle delicately lit and beautiful with a sails covered in fairly lights and chinese lanterns. I sat on the bank of the river for a while and admired the La Perle de l'Orient for a while before boarding.

Dinner was lovely and fuelled with traditional Vietnamese music and dance, though I was most likely the younger person on board by quite some margin! After docking I strolled back to the hotel via the city centre (which is magical at night time) and the nearby night market. I then headed back to the hotel to bed for the evening - this time hopefully without insect company.

About martin_rix


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.