Existing Member?

Martin's Travel Journal Just a few photos and ramblings from my trips.

Vienna

AUSTRIA | Sunday, 27 December 2009 | Views [284]

We headed to Vienna and despite the amazing architecture, history and culture the first thing that was noticed (and was most prominent thing throughout the stay) was the cold. It was freezing. Late December in Vienna is not a place for shorts and sandals! 

Our hotel was just on the edge of the City Centre, a five/ten minute walk to all of the highlights the City has to offer. We arrived the day after Boxing Day so most of the City was still in Holiday mode. The hotel was right next to Votiv Kirche and opposite Sigmund Freud Park. Unfortunately the church was bring restored so the view from the hotel window was slightly ruined.

The first day was spent getting bearing and hopping from café to café as we made our way across the City. That was needed, just to keep warm with constant stops for hot drinks. Vienna, however, is expensive! Post Christmas any sending was done wisely as prices in this City are way over the top. A coffee house of choice was just opposite the State Opera House and was a great place to sit and people watch.

We took in the Anker Clock and waited for the midday show when the twelve figures come out of the clock when it strikes twelve. From there we ventured out into the city to explore. On the way back to the hotel that day we visited the Naschmarkt and the food that the Market has on sale – snacks were the order of the day that afternoon!

The next day we rose early and headed to the Hofburg Palace, former residence of the Habsburgs until their Empire ended in 1918. You could get lost for days in this expansive building but the tour was wonderful, the décor and architecture of the building exquisite. The exterior of the building as well if wonderful. The sculptures on the Palace Doors are amazing and Heldenplatz at this time of year is beautiful.

From here, after dinner, we made our way up towards the Rathaus and the market outside. By night this was an amazing sight.

The next day we headed towards the Stephansdom, the massive Cathedeal that dominates the Vienna skyline. The interior is beautiful but it is the view from the top that steals the show - and it was twice as cold as at ground level as well! Other highlights of the day included the Leopold Museum and a stroll along the Danube.

The evening we took our final dinner in the city, Viennese food is wonderful and we ensured we had as many local delicacies as much as possible - despite the high prices. That night I dinned on Snitzel, perfect. We took on last walk around the city by night - Vienna still has its Christmas lighting up which made the city seem more magical before checking out the next morning.

About martin_rix


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.