Existing Member?

Passing through... We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves--Pico Iyer---Passing through from Europe to Africa to Asia to Oceania etc.& back again! 9 mos. of dreaming and exploring!

Day trip to Delhi

INDIA | Thursday, 14 March 2013 | Views [262]

Our train ride to Delhi from Agra in sleeper class was totally comfortable. No complaints and no need for AC. So grateful that we were able to leave our bigger bags with Karolina in Chennai. Traveling with just small backpacks is convenient and easy!
We had a packed itinerary in Delhi because we didnt get in until 2pm and our night train to Dehradun left at 11pm. The plan was only to stop for a day and possibly find another day or 2 later. There is A LOT to see in Delhi, but I've also heard its a crazy place.. Unpleasant, crowded with people and as hectic as it gets in India. Most people we've talked to did not like it at all, or suggested only a short stay there. That's why we just wanted to get a taste of it first and see if there will be time for it later. We just plan to do one of those cheesy but convenient hop on/hop off buses to relax and get around for the day. We also hope to arrange the rest of our train tickets. Whatever we like, we will return to see it after the Himalayas. We plan to take the train from Delhi to Chennai at the end of our India adventure, so I'm sure we will have a second day to explore it further:)

I had a bit of bias before coming to Delhi. I assumed I wouldn’t like it because of all the touts hassling you, the crowds, the noise and the pollution. However, from the small amount of time we spent there, I liked it. The city is a lot more green than I would have imagined it. For such a crowded, hectic place, there were plenty of calm pockets. For instance, we arrived at the Nizamuddin railway station on the east side of the city, and the surrounding residential area was welcoming, green and quiet. Even when we were on the bus, there was lots of green everywhere. We were tired and not feeling the greatest (Tom) so the plan was just to sit on the sightseeing bus and enjoy the city as calmly as possible. The only place we got off was the Lotus Temple, which is basically a ‘church’ for the Bah’ai Faith- a faith based on equality, meditation and peace. Read up on it! The temple was beautiful and serene J

The bus also drove us by a bunch of markets, an exclusive shopping mall area of Delhi, The Qutub Minar, and a few other popular monuments whose exact names I can’t remember. We ended our excursion at India Gate and the plan was to go to the train station to go book our tickets first, then eat a nice dinner, then potentially find some wifi and a place to relax before our night train departed. As expected, there were plenty of annoying touts all around Delhi. Someone will always take you somewhere for some price. But I also found people to be surprisingly helpful and the city itself is quite metropolitan, which made it easier to get around and to communicate.

Booking the rest of our train adventure at the New Delhi Foreign Tourist Information Office was a delight—especially compared to our Jaipur experience! You actually get to sit down with the booking agent and plan it out. You still have to know what you want, but they look things up quickly and try to find whatever they can—much appreciated! We arranged the rest of our travel through India with them—Dehradun to Varanasi, Varanasi to Jhansi/Orchna, and Jhansi back to Chennai. 3 long train rides, but all overnight, and all but one in AC (but like I said, not having air conditioning really did not bother me on the train). That set us back 7000 rupees ($140)! It was nice to have it all arranged finally….

The train ride was good. The New Delhi station is busy but organized and our train for Dehradun left on time. Our AC beds were stacked in 3’s so it was a bit crowded, but the moment I got on the train I went to sleep so I didn’t mind. Before I knew it, Tom woke me up and told me we were in Dehradun. Now we are sitting at a restaurant with (finally!) reliable wifi and tying up lose ends before we are cut off from the world for 10 days in our Vipassana course! I am scared but I think it will be an eye opening experience…

No chance to explore Dehradun today, but we will check out the area for a few days after the course is over…..Wish me luck :P

PS. I will post pictures after the course (as I have yet to upload any on my computer).

PSS. The first set of Australia blog links should be ready in the next few weeks too!

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.