Existing Member?

Passing through... We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves--Pico Iyer---Passing through from Europe to Africa to Asia to Oceania etc.& back again! 9 mos. of dreaming and exploring!

Australia....the holidays..

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 25 December 2012 | Views [182]

It has been about 2 weeks now in Oz.  My first impression has not changed much- still love it here! I will try to wrap up these 2 weeks as short as I can (eeeeek, we know that won’t be short!):

We live a 100m walk from the famous Bondi Beach. It is beautiful. Definitely a touristy area (especially this time of year) but gorgeous nonetheless. The sand is white and fine, the water is refreshing and the waves are big and just toss you around as they please! We met up with Jill after a few days (she came down from Gold Coast to meet up with us for Xmas) and her and Tom tried out some surfing—they are still trying and I just boogie board it instead! This is also a place that makes you feel lazy because there are people running, swimming, surfing, exercising EVERYWHERE!! People are so fit in Sydney! Its inspiring! Also, they are all about healthy eating—ORGANIC ORGANIC ORGANIC!  The food is really expensive - $3 for 1 avocado!!!—so you find yourself eating less and eating healthier….good lifestyle change if you ask me….

A few days in we had a family get together at my great aunts house (she is going on 90!) and I met some of my extended Australian family. My great aunt is quite an amazing woman. If she didn’t tell you her age you would probably guess she’s barely 70…she is still completely active, energetic, full of information and bubbly as ever!!! Ill happily make it to 90 if I’m doing as well as her!! Her boyfriend isn’t doing bad either, going on 90 himself, he has an amazing green thumb in their garden and still holds his liquor as well as any 20 year old!! Clearly the effects of living in Sydney!!?? :P

I learned from my aunt that in 1950 she and her late husband snuck out of Poland, boarded the S.S. Nelly leaving somewhere out of Northern Germany, then ended up in Melbourne, Australia a few months? Later! The cool part of this story is that when they were boarding this boat (illegally as per newly Communist Poland at the time) they only knew where the boat might possibly go but not its exact end location—apparently it could have ended up in Halifax, Nova Scotia or Melbourne, Australia and you just had to get on it and accept that you weren’t sure where you were going. Talk about fate…..

Anyways, it was amazing to finally meet her (We last met when I was 3 and I do not remember, obviously!). We had a nice family Christmas with some staple Polish dishes in the backyard in 30 degree weather……definitely the first time I’ve had a Christmas like this!!

The rest of the holidays seemed to fly by. We had a quiet Christmas Eve dinner, just me, Tom, and Jill. We bought some fresh fish and oysters at the Sydney fish market and some fruits and veggies. It made for a delicious meal!! We also attempted to make cookies but the oven (and Jill and I) are pretty special, so they did not form the cookie shapes we thought they would!! We also tried to make icing and that was another fun adventure! Either way, it’s the thought that counts, right Monz?? ;)

 

Christmas Day we were back at my great aunts house for more food & good company. It was pouring rain all day on Christmas day. So much so that the plan to grill out was eventually abandoned….We skyped my family back in Windsor and it made me so happy! It was amazing to connect across the world like that and bring people together! I think it made everyone happier…

Tags: poppy olsen skateboard (documentary etc.)

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.