Existing Member?

The world in a nutshell Lucy and Tim go wandering...

A coastal detour

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 31 January 2012 | Views [630] | Comments [3]

Hola a todos!

Just a quick one to update you all on our very busy bus tour of the East coast of Argentina.

We were originally planning a trip to Ushuaia so headed towards Rio Gallegos in order to get a connecting bus heading in the right direction. However, it turned out that travelling to Ushuaia would have left us incredibly poor and rummaging in bins with the local dogs to keep us going until the flight home. So, a change of plans was in order (hindsight is a wonderful thing and perhaps we should have just kept to the West side of Argentina in the first place but hey).

Rio Gallegos was a bit of a dive (to put it politely) so we left there after just one very dusty and windy night and headed up the coast on a very late night bus. We arrived in Puerto San Julian at 2am as we heard this was a good place to break up the journey towards Comodoro Rivadavia. Luckily we found a campsite to pitch up in and enjoyed what was left of a nights sleep before checking out the town. A trip to the local penguin colony was a must and an absolutely awesome trip. There were only five people on the boat so it was amazing to be the only people on the island and to be able to sit with so many penguins just waddling around going about there own business.

We fast realized there wasn't much else to do in San Julian so booked on to an overnight bus to Comodoro Rivadavia, where we spent 12 hours on the beach waiting for our next bus to Esquel...and here we are! It's chilly and pouring with rain, so we feel right at home. Having arrived at 6:30 this morning we have spent the last few hours drinking coffee and waiting for hostels to open before we can check in and have a much needed shower...and a nap.

Hoping to head to the national park tomorrow for some more trekking if the weather improves - keep your fingers crossed for us!

Hope you're enjoying the snow at home.

Love Lucy and Tim

xxx

Comments

1

Well it's not snowing here yet in Hampshire, a bit chilly though. Plenty of Penguins in the local Co-op, so I guess it's not that different really apart from the language! Think you need to head north, warmer up there. Nice pics, take care, speak soon x x

  Dad A Jan 31, 2012 5:04 AM

2

hey sis and tim, great to hear you are have i nice trip, internet is pretty slow here so im struggling to get the pictures up. chinese new year just finished. back to work. looking forward to seeig you both and mum in may for the Eastern leg of your trip.
i was wondering, after beijing do you plan to do any other travelling in china?
have fun see you soon

  Jonboy allman esquire Jan 31, 2012 1:16 PM

3

Glad you are both having a good time, the pictures are amazing. No snow in Wales though :( its just really cold!
Will email soon
Sian xx

  Sian Feb 1, 2012 9:25 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.