Existing Member?

Big Small Journey Off on the adventure of my lifetime: 5 glorious months of sun and snow in South America, then the UK for further fun and frolicking.

Bonito (Beautiful)

BRAZIL | Sunday, 24 February 2008 | Views [816]

First up, thanks Maxine for this recommendation, Bonito is a very special place. Not surprising that this is the number 1 tourist destination in Brazi, the surrounding hills, caves, and waters are magnificent. Not cheap though!

Arrived Bonito late in the evening, after a 4 hour bumpy ride over the rain-washed dirt roads. The hostel was very nice, compared to the accomodation in the Pantanal that is. The floor had no gaps in it! And there was even hot water or washing. There was a bunch of us staying at the hostel, and it also happened to be Nikkis birthday. We stayed up drinking till about 11, then the kitchen/bar at the hostel closed, and I went to bed (yes, I am a piker). The others went out to town, and supposedly got very very drunk.

The next morning, this was on the 23rd Feb, Gomu and I went to Rio do Prata for floatation. Basically, this involved us wearing a thick and very buoyant wetsuit, mask and snorkel, and we float down crystal clear waters with the current. The visibility was amazing, as was the fish. They were massive! There were spots on the river floor where sand bubbled like boiling water, releasing water from nearby natural reservoirs. There was one bit where we went through some rapids, that was fun.

The farm we were on was privately owned, and charged lots for the tour, but they also served an excellent lunch. I ate so much that afterwards, I couldnt keep my eyes open, and had to skip a tour to a cave nearby where there were lots of birds. Dont think I missed much.

On my last day in Bonito, Gomu and I went to the Balneario Municipal, a public bath near town, where there was lots of fish, and nice water to swim in. The plan was to ride there, a 7km trip each way, but I seemed to have lost my ability to ride a bike, so had to motortaxi instead. I thought you couldnt forget how to ride!!! On the way back, it started thundering and pouring rain, got very very wet.

Caught the 2:30pm bus to Foz do Iguasu, with a couple of stopovers.

Tags: adventures

 

About luchinko


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.