Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Portugal and the European Union

PORTUGAL | Sunday, 2 September 2007 | Views [870]

It's always interesting talking to EU locals about the impact the EU has had on their own country.  While the Portuguese economy did quite well when it was first integrated into the EU, the 2000's have not been easy years for Portugal.  Locals sing their woes about the core agricultural industry and how cheaper imports from their neighbor Spain, along with imports from Spain's satellite company presence in Latin America, are driving down the cost of goods, and with trade liberalization in the EU, the flow of imports have increased, while Portugal's market for their higher cost and lower yield produce has shrunk considerably.  This has caused inefficient industry in Portugal to shrink, and has contributed to the unemployment rise.  It's also been a spark for the more enterprising individuals to start up new businesses in the tourism industry which now seems to be a big money maker for Portuguese.  They share concerns about the Euro, and how prices have significantly increased with the introduction of the Euro, but that salaries have not risen proportionately.  So this, coupled with rising unemployment, has placed much strain on local communities.  They have said the EU policies have been positive in some respects, helping to fund infrastructure development and cross-border travel and employment.  It's very easy to travel around and this consequently has helped to bolster their tourism industry with an influx of EU tourists.  THey are very concerned with what the future holds.  So many are elderly, in fact the Lonely Planet guide quoted several years ago that 17% of the population here is over 65 years old.  With pension reforms and the EU scaling back it's subsidies over the next six years, coupled with the need for locals to learn new skills to transition from an agriculturally driven economy to more of a service driven economy, people are truly concerned about their futures here.

Tags: Culture

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.