Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Cake Job: Lifeguards in Portugal

PORTUGAL | Friday, 31 August 2007 | Views [4221]

I know the job of lifeguarding well, as it paid my way through university. Not all lifeguard jobs are alike. Different skills for different conditions and different degrees of difficulty and physical exertion are required. My admiration goes out to those guarding the beaches and saving lives in the oceans of Australia and South Africa, especially as they have sharks to contend with as well as drowning people. Once I was surfing in Durban, South Africa, and noticed the lifeguards were on the beach, waving us in, and all the other swimmers had exited the water because a shark had entered below the shark net, into the swimming area. I'm not sure I'd want to be responsible for saving human lives while there are deadly sharks competing with me.
In the middle of the degree of difficulty scale are those guarding jobs over less tumultuous bodies of water, like lakes, rivers, and bays where as a lifeguard you have currents and/or muddy, murky waters where rescues may be frequent or search and rescues are hampered due to the conditions and lack of ability to see below the surface. On crowded hot summer days I recall trying so hard to focus on how many people were out there, and pray I didn't "not see" someone go under. Rescues that stressed me out most were the drunk men who swam out far beyond their ability to make it back, and when you go to rescue them, they try to hold themselves up while submerging me. Those are the guys who would get the "hair tow" rescue back in, and then be escorted out of the lake area by local park police.
On the lower end of the adrenaline rush factor for guarding jobs, is the spa or university pool early morning lap swim session, where as a guard, you could easily read a book while doing your job. I had several of these jobs in university as well, and I got a lot of homework done while getting paid.
The cush lifeguard job that takes the cake, however, scores points for the following factors: 1) glamorous ocean beach setting, 2) opportunity for a deep, dark golden tan, 3) lifeguards are seen as surf beach gods by patrons, 4) responsibilities include serving up cappuccinos and espressos at the beach bar, sitting with local patrons and indulging in caffeine and conversation while working on a tan. This is the job of the Portugal lifeguard in the Algarve. We've even seen them in charge of collecting money and managing the sunbeds and umbrellas (which are 300 meters from the water line). These guys strut their stuff around the beach bar, looking fit and tan, but never once did we see them go into the water, let alone even glance at anyone in the water. Once at the beach in Carrapateira we saw two guards carrying off a piece of driftwood from the beach, that's the most physical exertion we've seen of any lifeguard here. Granted, this observation is limited to the beaches we've been on in Portugal - Lagos, Salema, Sagres- Pria do Tonel, Pria do Martinhal, Carrapateira- Pria do Borderia, Pria de Arrifana, Pria Monte Clerigo and Pria de Amoreira, Pria de Odeceixe, Zambujeira do Mar, and Pria do Farol. I'm sure there are other beaches in Portugal where lifeguards have the real responsibility of watching the surf and saving lives. We just haven't seen it yet while traveling here.

Tags: Work

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.