Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Europe: The Land of Love

SPAIN | Sunday, 26 August 2007 | Views [1245]

After traveling for so many months in countries that culturally shun and prohibit public displays of affection, we are conditioned not to hold hands in public, and are accustomed to seeing absolutely no display of affection or emotion between people.  In fact, other than NZ, AUstralia, and Kao San Road in bangkok, people in all the other places we've traveled are ultra conservative, as local customs, behaviors are strictly driven by religion, government and cultural norms.   In fact, Darrin and I have not been able to hold hands walking in public - well, we did once on a beach in Vietnam and got some very nasty glares.  So Europe is a refreshing change (for the most part).  Young and old, we see couples embracing  in the airports, bus and train stations, streets, restaurants and shops.  Greetings for men, women and children, to, between and amongst each other are a kiss on either side of the cheek.  There are those who do take it a bit too far for our comfort level - like mauling each other half naked on the beach, but it's a wonderful thing to see - the open expression of friendship, love, and emotion all around us after so many months of seeing it suppressed in other countries.  Summer in Europe - love is in the air.  Europe is truly a romantic region.

Tags: Culture

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.