Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Lingering in Lagos

PORTUGAL | Saturday, 25 August 2007 | Views [1231]

Up early this morning, we decide to train it further along the southwest coast to a beach town called Lagos.  A quaint town, surrounded by river channel and ocean, this is one of the most touristy places on the south coast.  We haven't been able to completely escape the crowds of Barcelona here, but our guesthouse, a cute little whitewashed villa where we have a room and outdoor balcony with sea view on the third floor, is perfect.  Our time in Portugal, we now consider one of those "vacation" moments in our trip, where we need to shell out a bit more money (accommodation in peak season Europe is expensive) to get off the hard core backpacker circuit, to allow ourselves some down time and relaxation.  On the horizon from our room we see a church with moorish architectural influences, rising into the sky, and little mediterranean-like villas terraced on the hills surrounding us.  I'm just imagining that if I were an author, I could see hanging out here for awhile on this cool little balcony, writing books.  We've stocked our little fridge with all the essentials, milk, beer, wine and cheese.  A could of fresh loaves of bread from the bakery around the corner, some fresh meats from the local butcharie, and ripe fresh local fruits - now we're ready to relax for a couple of nights.  
 
The house mom who runs this quaint place sets us up with a couple of beach towels (too heavy to have our own in our packs on this journey), and we're off to the main beach.  We cross the river where the only bridge is up, letting tall, sleek sailboats flow on through.  The beach is a bit of a hike, back past the train station where old grannies are out in force trying to find occupants for their guest rooms.  Unlike Spain, Portugal sends out the cute grannies, hoping to get weary travelers secured in their homes before they hit the streets for more advertised hostels.  Not a bad idea.  I'd choose going home with old granny to her flat every day, over some aggressive younger male tout trying to sway my business toward his place.  I'm sure I've read about some countries in Latin America where grannies are sent out to public transport drop offs to detract you from watching their bags and then their partner in crime robs you blind.  Luckily this isn't the case here, although we're always a bit skeptical about touts on the street or at transportation terminals.  I guess our time in Asia has conditioned us to assume the worst.
 
Across the bridge, past the fishing docks, over the wood plank crossing sand dunes, and walking through the dunes and tall strands of lightly blowing beach grass, we finally arrive at a long sandy stretch of beach.  It goes for miles - we're stoked.  There's a beach bar here too, serving up pictures of sangria and other delectable treats.  We spend an amazing day at the beach, an evening listening to a local band in the sand dunes with our pitchers of sangria, and strolling through the beautiful streets, in awe at the beautiful historical buildings illuminated with lights, and glowing under a full moon.

Tags: Relaxation

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.