Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

From Barcelona to Madrid to Faro, Portugal

PORTUGAL | Friday, 24 August 2007 | Views [3222]

We overnighted last night in Madrid, one of my most favorite cities in Spain, en route to Portugal.  Madrid is one of those magical European cities, for me, that holds a ton of culture, history, and a place where I immediately feel at home.  Gorgeous architecture, a ton of art, green parks, quaint placa's, plentiful street cafes, restaurants in caves, and free flowing sangria.  It's not as crowded and as much of a tourist zoo as Barcelona is this time of year, so we take the night to decompress, enjoy the beautiful late summer weather, and relax with Sangria and tapas before calling it an early night.  
 
We found some really cheap flights off Europe's discount airline Ryan Air, to Fargo, Portugal.  These cost far less than taking the train to Lisbon which was the original plan and then bus it down to the southern coastline of Algarve, but this flight allowed us to save both time and money, so we opted for a less adventurous route.  The flight over the Portuguese coastline is gorgeous; long stretches of golden sand beaches and blue water, small islands and sand bards do the main coastline.  While certainly not to the level of night life and activity of Barcelona, we were looking for some true rest and relaxation. It's very peaceful here.  The city surrounds, architecture and colors are calming.  The buildings here are white-washed, stucco, and it feels very mediterranean.
 
It's a gorgeous day in Faro, and we found a small guesthouse in a little alleyway with availability, Sao Filipe Hospedaria with an amazingly friendly and helpful owner who went above and beyond to help us organize additional accommodation down the line in the next town of Lagos.  The scene here in Southern Portugal, while still peak summer tourist season, is much more laid back, personable and friendly than our experience in Barcelona.  Despite our room being tinier than most rooms we've had during our entire time on the road, and just barely under $100 USD, it was so comfy, and made us feel instantly at home in this new country.
 
We spend the day combing the streets of the small town, and checking out the big cultural event of the summer - Folk Faro - a dance festival of many Latin countries who have traveled long distances to participate and entertain.  There's a big family tourism business here - lots of beach and boating activity and trendy little cafes on cobblestone roads.  One thing unique to Portugal is the design and use of colored stones and tiles in the cobblestone roads.  We saw it in several other former cities that had been prior colonies of Portugal like Rio and Manus in Brazil.  Everywhere you look, there are intricate designs imbedded in the cobblestone roads that create an artful look to promenades and streets.  Faro also reminds us a bit of the Florida Everglades.  There are long channels of waterways winding through protected marine and parklands.  Locals hire out boats for rides through the channels for bird spotting in the early mornings.  We catch an amazing sunset as dark clouds start to roll through.  Lightening fills the sky as we sip down a litre of Sangria and yummy dinner at a small family run Italian Restaurant we discovered down a tiny alley.  A great first day in Portugal.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.