Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Freeloading WiFi

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 28 February 2007 | Views [885]

Finally, the big event we've been searching for here in Australia - the ability to freeload off someone's unprotected wireless setup.  Sounds strange, I know... With Darrin the tech-a-holic, you'd think that this wouldn't be such a problem for us.  However, most wireless accounts here have mega security around them.  We haven't been able to tap into any wireless access anywhere on our travels so far.  Not like the US, where the average person sets up their wireless and leaves it unprotected, and you can typically surf the web off your neighbor’s connection.  Here's there's none of that.  It was the most rainy, windy, miserable day we've experienced so far.  We were heading up to Perth, needing to stop off along the way, so that we could eventually return our van on the 1st of March.  It was so miserable that people in our caravan park were just sitting inside their vans, waiting out the storm.  It was also the time of day that cafes and bars were not serving food, and town was completely dead.  So we thought we'd get a start on bills to pay and tax preparation.  Flick on the computer, and boom- wireless access registers.  While the signal wasn't great, it was just enough to get a jump on returning emails, and doing some web search to begin planning our India leg, which we leave for in only 9 short days, and still have no plans set up.  We also got the chance to skype home and take care of some outstanding items- like our home that's still unrented!  We figured we'd actually paid for our good fortune in email, in the exorbitant rates our caravan park was charging, so we made the most of our access.

We also ventured off into Fremantle, a small port town of Perth, for a quick beer before the sunset- the only hour during the day that the sun actually broke on through the clouds.

The winds tonight were so strong, that we kept waking up to the van blowing from side to side on our cement campsite slab.  It felt like we were sleeping on a boat.  We awoke to the same nasty weather.  Winter is coming quickly here.  All the locals chock it up to Global Warming.

 

 

Tags: Packing & gadgets

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.