Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Australia Day!

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 25 January 2007 | Views [670]

26 January 1788 was the date on which the First Fleet, under Captain Arthur Phillip arrived at Sydney Cove and set up the Colony of New South Wales.   We rang in Australia Day at my old local watering hole in Newport Beach... The Newport Arms.  The fashion we have picked up on in Australia, are tiny dresses for the twenty something women at the bar, and long Australian Flag capes adorned by all in the crowd.  We caught fireworks at midnight and then finally caught a cab after waiting 2 hours.  In the Northern Beaches they run a special bus from the “Arms” that takes all the drunk patrons and dumps them off at Mona Vale bus depot, along the main road.  What they fail to do is have busses running to anywhere else, so there we were the late 30’s and 40 somethings hanging out with all the kids feasting on meat pies and trying to hitch a ride home.  We did finally make it back by 3 am.

The day here is commemorated at the beaches by thong throwing contests... no, not the underwear type thongs we think of in the US... flip flops!  That, along with much beer drinking, it’s a nation wide party to celebrate being Australian, and a good reason for a day off work.

Tags: Friends

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.