Existing Member?

Let Large Two recently married Tasmanians, flying to the US, with ambitions to buy a bb gun at walmart, be stars in LA by wearing sunlasses indoors, re-marry in Vegas, pack an artery with creole cooking in New Orleans, and determine whether America needs saving

Wadi Rum - How Many Beduin Does it Take To Change a Tyre?

JORDAN | Sunday, 20 May 2007 | Views [1123]

Tyre Change

Tyre Change

One.  Unless the spare is flat and another tyre needs to be transported from camp.  The Beduin pride themselves on living in the desert without food and water.  In fact there is a proud tradition of the Beduin brothers outlasting one another for days at a time in the advent of a flat tyre - especially during the harsh summer days of Wadi Rum.  Salym Ababa holds the official record of seven days without food or water, however he did admit to drinking a litre of coolant.  During his stomach pump, the assisting nurse also noted he had consumed approximately a quart of oil too.  The longest unofficial record is 10 days, however Hassar Hussein was found dead.  The autopsy revealed that the ingestion of coolant, oil, and power steering fluid was simply too lethal.  10 days is simply an estimation from when rigomortise set in.

Yes we did get a flat tyre in Wadi Rum and yes there was no spare tyre, and another beduin drove out to replace it.  We had just cameled and walked and we were jeeping when the flat tyre incident took place.  They were pretty efficient and it did not effect anything.  Anyway, it all worked out well in the end. 

Oh yes, and I survived Jordan.  There were guns everywhere, I just could not believe how many guns and tanks and hardware there is.  It was very intimidating.  Anyway, I was not shot and now I am in Rome at a very swanky hostel by the beach which is pretty crazy.  It is almost mid night and I have lost about 3 hours sleep.  Anyways, going to check out Rome city tomorrow.

Tags: adventures

About largeone

Pub

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.