Existing Member?

Let Large Two recently married Tasmanians, flying to the US, with ambitions to buy a bb gun at walmart, be stars in LA by wearing sunlasses indoors, re-marry in Vegas, pack an artery with creole cooking in New Orleans, and determine whether America needs saving

Petra - Siq's, Sun, and Souveniers

JORDAN | Thursday, 17 May 2007 | Views [1280]

The Treasury

The Treasury

Walking into Petra is like a child walking into a candy store.  And if you turn right at the entrance gate, you actually will be in a candy store. By continuing forward the local beduin will offer a a horse ride to the siq opening, and for a few extra Dinar he will include the use of the saddle.  Once the treasury comes into view, tourists are presented with a wonderful view to the left of a postcard stand, and beyond it lies the treasury - typically littered with lingering tourists.  A hint: Shout "bomb", and the area is free for approximately 5 minutes before tourists begin to return - ample time to use the camera.  However if this method is used twice the minimum punishment is purchasing a book of Petra postcard at a marked up price of 10 Dinar.  The other punishment is to have an extreamely expensive coffee at "Cleopetra" - the most popular drinks spot in Petra. Sugar is in short supply, so don't be surprised if they use sand instead.

Yes Petra was great.  Don't believe a word above, except for...  Actually believe some of it, but not all.  i have a great time here, and the  local people were no where near as desperate to sell things which is contradictory to what I have heard. Great scenery, and a great day.

Tags: Culture

About largeone

Pub

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.