Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

The Furniture Capital of the World

USA | Saturday, 12 December 2009 | Views [631]

Contrary to popular belief, IKEA is not the largest producer of furniture.  High Point, NC is.  And what is High Point?  Well, it's about an hour Northeast of Charlotte.  Apparently some Quakers also migrated down here from Pennsylvania for the better weather--who could blame them?


We drove here on Wednesday from Buffalo and Charleston.  We went from snow to sun, and it reminds me of San Jose weather down here. 

We are staying in one of the most perfect houses ever.  We drove up to the house and thought we had the address wrong, we couldn't believe we would be staying in a house this big.  Our wonderful hosts are both doctors with their individual practices.  Our hostess designed the house, as well as the interior decorations.  It looks like a model home.  I'm afraid to have anything out of place, or to leave dirty dishes in the sink.  The kitchen is HUGE without  touch-screen appliances.  I did laundry today and after I took out my clothes from the washer and put them into the dryer, the touch screens read "sending information to dryer" ... like, what do they have to talk about my clothes for?  They have at least 4 flat screens each with their own amazing sound systems (and I haven't seen their master bedroom) and a universal remote each that took me about 30 minutes to figure out.  Kris and I both have our own rooms with our own full bathrooms.  My bathroom opens up to a small apartment with a living room, kitchenette, and another bedroom with two full beds.  It's a pretty sweet life.  The best part is that this couple is totally down-to-earth.  And I'm not surprised if they couchsurf.

For our last day before heading out to Plymouth, we walked around Old Salem.  It's a small town with a preserved colonial/revolutionary war era street with people in costume, like they do in Gettysburg.

We are heading to Plymouth, NC.  I sent emails to 12 different churches to see if anyone would feel sorry for us and host us, but no response (there are no couchsurfers within an hour of Plymouth) has led us to stay at a hotel for those three days.

We head to Charlotte after Plymouth for three nights, then Richmond, VA for the weekend, and our final stop will be in Pottstown, PA before heading to Boston for my flight hooooome. 

I'm getting so excited to be going home.  I miss everyone, and it'll be good to be home for Christmas this year. =)


Until next time, good night, dear void.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.