Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

No One Wears Flip-Flops in Italy

ITALY | Sunday, 19 October 2008 | Views [494] | Comments [5]

No one.  Except the three of us.  Boots and stilletos are the thing.  As if we needed anything else to point to us as American Tourists.

We did a day trip to Pompeii today.  It was a bigger city than we expected, and the ruins were of course remarkable.  I wish we could have played tag, or sardines, or capture the flag!  I wanted to climb a few structures, but I am pretty sure I would have gotten kicked out of Italy for it--but what a story to tell..."So this one time I got kicked out of Italy for thinking I could boulder on some ancient ruins..."

What got to me was when we saw some of the cast moldings of the people caught in the ash-smoke-lava.  There was one of a baby sucking his thumb...so sad.

Tomorrow we head for the Amafali Coast.  Because it is a million dollars to stay at any hotel on the actual coast, we are planning to hit up a place right outside of Amafali and try the camping--dont worry, mom, it is safe! The place is actually attached to a hostel, so they all share the same facilities.

From there we should be heading to the East Coast to take off via Ferry from Bari to Corfu to begin our Grecian adventure!!!  We are not exactly sure what Deck Fare entails, but we know it will be roughin it for sure for our 10 hour adventure into the Adriatic Sea for an overnight transfer.  Yay for the budget chasers.

Thanks for all the prayers I think Rica is feeling better (and yes, Rome, she got the package...Thanks!)

Ciao for now!

 

Comments

1

or you could say italy gave you the boot! get it? am i reaching? bah.

  romeoso Oct 19, 2008 11:03 AM

2

blah... this is the third time i've attempted to leave you a comment! maybe it will work. :)

essentially, i want to tell you that i miss you, i love you, i'm praying for you, and the past three weeks of my life would have been better if you were here with me.

have an amazing time in greece and eat some authentic gyros for me!!! mmmmm. remember eating Daphne's on your mattress in our living room? when neither of us could taste it? tee hee. i love you!!

  shell Oct 19, 2008 12:16 PM

3

I second that. Miss you.

  Chris McCann Oct 20, 2008 12:37 PM

4

Hey darlin'! Sounds like you're having an amazing time. I just want you to know that even though I haven't commented yet, you've been in my thoughts and prayers! I can't believe you're already in Italy! Time flies. Have a blast dearie! Love you lots!!!

~Trish

P.S. I'm a bridesmaid in Alisha's WEDDING!!! May 2. Isn't that exciting!?! Just thought I'd let you know... :-)

  Trishy Oct 20, 2008 1:54 PM

5

I can't wait to go see Italy for myself sometime... (I will sometime in the next 3 years!)... Pompeii sounds amazing and I've ALWAYS wanted to go to the Amalfi Coast... color me envious!

Miss you!!!

  "Sister" Oct 28, 2008 3:46 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.