Existing Member?

Living out of a Backpack

The Geeks and The Greeks

GREECE | Wednesday, 14 April 2010 | Views [740] | Comments [3]

Kalimera (Good Morning), that's my very first Greek word, arrived into Athens 18th March and as we flew to Mykonos, we thought we would have a cheap month island hopping around this bankrupt country, little did we know!! Since the Euro was introduced, prices have tripled and because of it, we have demoted ourselves from flash packers to real backpackers, have started staying in dormitories and have not eaten in a restaurant or cafe for 4 weeks, living on salads mixed in plastic bags in our room and plenty of bread and rough local wine. Occasionaly a 2 euro souvlaki to reward ourselves with a bit of meat.

Despite the cost, we have been to some amazing places, island hopped through Mykonos, Ios, beautiful Santorini, Crete (where we spent Easter on the coast). The Greeks celebrate Easter more than any other religious holiday - quite a spectacle, then took a ferry to Athens where we came to an area called the Peloponesse, currently driving a hire car for a week around this unreal area - Vathia, Monemvassia (thank you Maria and Gord for you suggestions). Weather is great there are also very few people around and spring flowers out everywhere.

Moving to Montenegro (via Albania) on sunday for a few days, then picking up a cruise through the islands of Croatia for a week (well, we still need a few luxuries!!), before moving to Venice and down through Italy flying back to UK from Naples on 28th May.

We are both well and cannot believe we are now into our 8th month of travel, time really does fly when you have fun.

Please keep your email and comments coming in as we do appreciate news from home.

Hope everyone is well. enjoy the photos and ciao until next country.

Click here for more photos Paupers in Greece

Next Stop : 18th April - Montenegro and Croatia via Albania

Tags: island hopping in greece

Comments

1

Following your travels with great interest. Would love to back to Greek Islands again. Assume still too cold for swimming however at least not overwhelmed by visitors like June to August.
Take a trip down the Amalfi Coast when in Naples. Great place to try out your driving skills but probably better to be a passenger for safety and also because there is usually no where to leave a car.
Di had her first test flight to Melbourne, all OK, so might try to plan a trip.
Regards to you both Di and Ian

  Diana & Ian Apr 16, 2010 2:41 PM

2

Hi Andrew and Shawn
Great to hear all going well. Very jealous as you would imagine, though it has been an unbelievable summer here in NZ. Just starting to pack in now so will take the pool cover off and abandon swimming.
Your report brought back great memories of our own break in the Peloponnese one Easter many years ago. A great place for good food is Napflion (or something like that) on the eastern coast.
Anyway, safe travels, and look forward to reading the next edition.
Cheers, Andrew and rachel

  Andrew and Rachel Apr 17, 2010 3:45 PM

3

Hi boys. The photos are simply picture perfect! You look well despite all the walking and moving about. Time does fly when you are having fun (or when you aren't working). I'm back in Seoul after having too much fun in Sydney and trying to figure out what I should be doing and where. It's possible that I may be greeting you two in OZ. It's spring here too and flowers are in full bloom. Miss you heaps. xoxo

  Jimmy Apr 21, 2010 2:09 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.