Existing Member?

Living out of a Backpack

Walk Like An Egyptian

EGYPT | Saturday, 13 February 2010 | Views [1196] | Comments [4]

Assalamu Alaikum.

We finally escaped the harshest winter in England for years on the 20th Jan for Luxor, Egypt - and we landed in heat!!

Egypt was also the first country that we both looked like tourists unlike just Andrew in the last 5 months.

During our 23 days here, we covered the whole country and saw everything from the pyramids, temples, tombs, deserts, Egypt's ancient rail system and of course the locals, who I must say are one of the most persistently annoying and unscrupulous group of people we have met. 

The cities along the Nile were full of tourists though we managed to escape by taking a luxury 5-star cruise down the Nile to Asswan - it was bliss!!

Our trips to the desert were off the tourist route and were well worth the long hours of travel to get there, spectacular scenery, heat during the day and freezing at night - We travelled every form of transport from donkey cart, horse carriage, camels, the ancient rail system over night, un-road worthy taxis and luxury liners.

We flew out of Sharm el Sheik, the busiest airport we have ever seen and full of British package holiday tourists, all keen to eat lots of pizzas, drink beer and buy duty free items, it was quite a sight - and I am glad I'm an aussie now!! (Though travelling into Egypt using UK passport)

Currently have a few more weeks in the UK visiting friends and family and then off to Bulgaria skiing on 26th Feb, will update again after that.

Hope you are all well and please keep the communications coming in.

Click here for more photos in Egypt

Next Stop : Bulgaria - 27th Feb till 06 Mar

Comments

1

LOVE the photos, looks like you're having a great time... and NO snow for a change !
just came back from NZ, South Island, won't bore you with the 740 photos but was great and relaxing apart from the mosquitos & sand flies, great challenge for me to cook in a camparvan kitchen !
Love to both of you. Continue to be safe
speak soon...
PS. Anything you miss from Oz? we can send you a jar of vegemite if you want XXX

  selma Feb 13, 2010 7:39 PM

2

Very cool,mate.

How do you find out with donkey cart? :-)

  TonyL Feb 15, 2010 4:08 PM

3

Donkey cart is not the best mode of transport, neither was the camel.

  Shawn Feb 15, 2010 8:52 PM

4

Really looking forward to you guys being around Sydney and hearing all of these amazing stories in person! But enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Can't believe how QUICKLY time travelling FLIES by! xoxo

  lenora Mar 15, 2010 11:04 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.