Existing Member?

Living out of a Backpack

The BIG 5 and Mount Kilimanjaro (Africa)

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 6 August 2010 | Views [1088] | Comments [7]

Africa - the continent of amazing wildlife, spectacular sunrises and sunsets, incredible costs to the travellers (more expensive than Europe!!), unbelievably friendly and non too friendly locals and a continent which only has 1% internet facilities has made a very interesting 2.5 months for us.

 

So, firstly, we are alive and well but as we say the internet in Middle/Southern Africa is almost non existant. We have travelled from Kenya to Namibia through Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia and Botswana, we've taken very rough local transport, boats, buses, luxurious coaches and even had to hitch hike 1000km through nothern Namibia.

 

The game parks live up to their expectations, they have been fantastic and we've seen all the BIG FIVE wild animals all so close up. Leopard, Lion, Buffalo, Rhino and Elephant plus dozens of other animals and now do not think we will visit a zoo again. - The Masai Mara Game Park in Kenya was by far the most rewarding as for a game goes.
 
Mount Kilimanjaro (as Shawn calls it [Kill Me Manjaro]) was another "must do" on our trip. And from a "must do", it turned out to be "never again"!! One of us reached the top at 5860m and from an easy start, it turned out to be very physically and mentally challenging, a bitterly cold experience which took a week on a beach in Zanzibar to recover from!!

 

The Victoria Falls lived up to and far exceeded expectations as did northern Botswana/Namibia where we slept over river surrounded by hippos.

 

So, here we are in Windhoek (capital of Namibia), we are relaxing here from a few days after a few weeks in the desert and game parks before moving down to our final destination, Cape Town, South Africa.We have 2 weeks to see this area before returning back to Perth, Australia on 26th August, hopefully staying with relatives here before flying to Melbourne and driving back to Sydney.

 

  •  8th Sep, Shawn returns back to Commonwealth Bank.
  • 11th Sep, we move back into North Sydney.
  • 13th Sep, Andrew returns back to his job in North Sydney.
  • 20th Sep, we will begin to wonder if we have been away at all?

 

We are both looking forward to returning home. Africa has been quite tiring and hard on the pocket and new plans need to be put into action and paid for.

 

So this is the last update from our travels, we will post a short note once we get back to Australia.

 

Again, we hope everyone is well and do keep the emails and comments coming in.

 

 

Cheers
Andrew and Shawn

Click here for more photos of Africa trip

Comments

1

hi guys well you are alive thats good sounds like an amazing place ah. well time is running out ah. oh well all good thing must come to an you know what . well all is fine here so have you got your old job back andrew thats good saves looking for one. well we are comming to sydney in sept about the 20 sept for five days so have to catch up so that will be good bye for now must go to work that place where the both of you must start again

  kirk Aug 7, 2010 5:43 AM

2

Hi Shawn & Andrew!!

I am so glad you both have resurfaced safely. I can't believe that 1 year is just around the corner.

Thank You for sharing your travel experiences (the good, the bad & the ugly) and to let me/us tag along to your adventures. They have been AMAZING so far. I always look forward to your blogs (and they're certainly NOT boring).

The amount of planning & organisation that you guys have put in to your holidays is also mind boggling. I've been planning/researching about my 2 month holiday (France, Italy, Spain & Portugal). My head is about to explode! 2 months is definitely not enough! I will need to be ruthless about 'deleting' some of my wishful destinations. I like the fact that you both were able to have your adventures and also take the time to chill out. So if you can recommend places to visit (or not to visit), that will be great. (Venice, Rome and the Amalfi Coast are already on my list...we'll be using a 2-month Eurail pass to go crazy.)

Anyway gents enjoy your adventures. You have missed the wettest and coldest 'Sydney' so far while you've been away.

Hope to catch up with you in North Sydney. I will be flying out on 22-Sept, it's like a torch relay Shawn...you can pass the torch to me as you fly in.

CONGRATULATIONS for living your dreams!

Cheers
Romina


  Romina Aug 7, 2010 8:52 AM

3

Glad to you see you guys all tanned and well in Africa! It seems like an amazing trip. Your entire year round world tour is not only an adventure but also a great achievement, so my hats off to you. I'm still in Seoul but I hope to you see you guys soon and hear all the exciting travel stories first-hand. kisses & hugs

  Jimmy Aug 7, 2010 12:29 PM

4

Boys - looking forward to seeing you back in Sydney. Can't believe where the time has gone and we haven't gone anywhere!

Philippe & I are running the city to surf tomorrow and feeling like the usual suspects are missing in action!

We will see you soon, when life has settled down into a rythmn.

Safe travelling until then

Pauline (& the boys)

  Pauline Bernard Aug 7, 2010 6:37 PM

5

Did you take this photo by yourself? Amazing.

  Tony Liu Aug 11, 2010 8:28 AM

6

Hi Guys,

Not long before you return to Oz! At least you have missed all the lead up to the election on the 21st.

Don't forget to wave as you fly over SA.

What a fantastic trip you've both had. Catch up on the phone when you get back.

Love,

Paul, Susannah and family.

  Paul & Susannah Aug 12, 2010 12:14 PM

7

Hi Guys!

So glad to hear all's well. I've been wondering (and a little concerned) about how you're doing, but so glad to to know you're safe and well, albeit somewhat lighter of pocket than you'd planned. Never mind, what an experience you've had!

Being selfish, I'm looking forward to seeing you, even though you'd probably sooner be elsewhere on the planet. Enjoy the last couple of weeks and the trip back home.

Cheers!

W :)

  Wayne Daly Aug 15, 2010 1:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.