Existing Member?

Living out of a Backpack

I see dead people

NEPAL | Friday, 2 October 2009 | Views [1330] | Comments [2]

Today is our last day in Kathmandu. We are leaving for a 21-day trek early tomorrow morning.

After sorting out the trekking stuff. We took a taxi to 2 of the temples suggested by hotel front desk. The first was Boudha Stupa, the iconic landmark in Kathmandu (like Opera House in Sydney).

We then walked 2km to Pashupati Temple, one of the holiest and largest Hindu temples. While only Hindus are allowed in the main temple, we were ushered to the back court yard by a paid tour guide. The first thing came to sight was 5 platforms by the river bank with burning pires. 3 of them are still burning. And yes, that's cremation in process. We were allowed to watch it from the viewing platform and the fume was blowing in our direction, so we have inhaled whatever that was there.

We were then led to the other side of the river and there lied a dead body that passed away this morning (Hindus don't keep the decease over night). They were cleaning the body using the water from the river (which is really filthy) before moving it to the cremation platform.

There were children swimming and picking up coins that were swept into the river with the ashes and old ladies doing their laundries.

This is something I've heard about but never thought I would see it. Words can't describe my feelings. It wasn't scary, but very interesting to be able to witness such a different culture. 

Surprisingly, we were allowed to take photos and videos. Again, I will update them to picasa later.

Next update in 22 days time. 

Comments

1

Namaste Andy & Shawn,

Sounds as if you are both having a good trip so far.

In case you didn't know - Simon and Emma had a boy - called Jackson.

Hope your trek has gone well! I'm sure you'll both need a well deserved rest after your return to Kathmandu.

Love,

Paul and Susannah & Co. xxx

  Paul & Susannah Godowski Oct 5, 2009 7:15 PM

2

Hi Andrew and Shaun,
Hope that all went well on the trek. We look forward to hearing your news on your return.
Enjoy!

  Pauline Bernard Oct 6, 2009 11:39 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.