Existing Member?

Lauren's Space "Shenonkablonk."

August 4th and 5th [Monday- Tuesday]

BELGIUM | Wednesday, 6 August 2008 | Views [774]

The atomium

The atomium

ON MONDAY Kenneth picked us up and we went to Brussels! We spent all day there at Mini Europe and Oceana and saw the big Atomium. I will be having two new galleries up now, one for August 1st-3rd and one for the trip to Brussels (August 4th). We had a really good time with Kenneth even though he and Parci sang along to a whole CD of Bob Marley in the car on the way there and back. It cost us €23.50 to get into mini europe and the water park pool thing. we spent two hours walking around mini europe and it was really good but the buildings were fairly inaccurate, but some were really amazing to see all the little details in them. The weather was odd. It was hot and sunny and then suddenly i was shivering with the cold. Strange for a summer eh?

We spent over two hours in mini europe and then we went into the swimming pool, and stayed there for nearly four hours. There was a pool area which had waves every hour or so, a kids playground, an outdoor pool, and a LOT of slides which were awesommmmmme. We went down the yellow slide first and it was so fast that you can't breathe in it and the water goes up your nose. So everyone pulls a weird face as they go down coz they can't breathe and the water is everywhere so they look funny when they come out. Parci and I went in a double tube down one of the bigger slides and it tipped us over halfway and we landed on each other and hit the sides of the slide which was a tad painful. Then we got a big tube which can fit four people in, but has a maximum weight of 200kg. So with me and two men it was naturally over 200kg. Parci lay in the left of the tube, I was in the middle, and Kenneth was on my right. And that slide had cruel corners so everytime we went up the side or a corner, i got squished in the middle and the tube nearly folded in half. We went down all these slides soooo many times. The kids were pains in the arse and kept squealing and screeching bec ause on the stairs in the tower going up to the slides, it echoes and magnifies all the sounds. And all the spanish and turkish kids kept trying to push in and walk past us. Even when they had the big tyre tube to go gown the slide in, they still kept trying to push past us and say they were first when they weren't. I think the best slide was the one where we all went down together in it. The lifeguard let all three of us in seperate tubes go down one of them and it was really cool. I went down first and turned around so I was facing backwards and could see Parci and then Kenneth behind him, and we went up on a corner and I nearly fell off but didnt, and Parci just tipped right over. Then we all shot out of the end into the pool.

The outside slides were different. We went on the yellow one first which was at the top, and it was a really really steep slide which went down normally and then suddenly went down to a 20degree angle or something and then we got thrown into the pool at the bottom. After this we went on the blue ones, which were short tubes and they weren't long but they too were at a small angle so they were steep and we went fast, and then they stop about a meter above the water so if you go down, you go flying out the end through the air and then into the pool. I went first so I could watch Kenneth and Parci get shot through the air and it was very funny to see ^^

When we left the pool we walked around the outside area and ate overpriced burgers and fries from Quick and then loked at the atomium. It is a huge building built in the form of an Iron Crystal Atom, magnified 65billion times and was built for the world exhibition in 1958. It is really huge. We were going to look inside but it closed as we got there. It's amazing how there can be a structure like that and the bars between the balls in the atom shape are stairways or esculators apparantly with photos going through history I think. And in the top ball is a restaurant and a great view of belgium from there.

We took a scenic route home from there since there was a lot of traffic on the highway, and Kenneth stayed for a few hours and we saw all of his photos from his trip to Turkey and it looked like a nice area to visit. Then Kenneth left and we went to bed.

TODAY we rode bikes to Mariakerke through the bird reservation and it's so nice out there and there's barely any people. We rode through the town and looked at the houses there and it seems to be a nice little town away from all the crap in a city. I really liked it there. Then we went to meet Tom (Spain Tom from Japanese Class, not teabag tom or japan tom. coz parci knows 6 toms)at the Blaarmeersen, which is an area with lots of greenery and trees, and then a big lake in the middle for swimming and boats, and then there is a sandy beach area on there where people lie around burning to a crisp if the sun is out, or they play volleyball.We met up with this Tom fellow and had a few drinks at the cafe there and he stared at the waitress for a bit and I caught a wasp in my glass. There were a lot of wasps there. Then Tom tried to catch a wasp but he beheaded it instead, which was weird because the body died but the head kept wrigglign and moving across the table. then the waitress picked up my glass and I yelled at her because tehre was a wasp in there and she laughed and said she didn't mind them as long as they stay away from her. and sure enough, it flew off in the other direction. Then we moved to next to the water and they drank anotehr beer each. The turkish people there were really messy. There are bins everywhere, but their group left a whole pile of rubbish on the grass when they left. And they looked gay anyway because they all wore headbands. Headbands are for girls. Mainly those udner the age of 12. Not men. There is no excuse for such behaviour. Then we got into Tom's nice black car with good speed and luckily good brakes as well. We ate good fries and bickyburgers and then he got a parking ticket of €20 and we got our bikes and went home. And now i'm typing up this. and uploading photos!

Got a msg from Dad today so apparantly postcards are being recieved! This is excellent news. Hope you like them if u were one of the special ones who got one.


Farewell all,

xox

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.