Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Chatelaillon Plage-Belle Epoch

FRANCE | Wednesday, 23 August 2017 | Views [336]

There is a little beach town not very far from here called Chatelaillon Plage. It has two great things to recommend it. For some reason, the architecture of the Bell Epoch has been preserved here more than in most other towns in France. I have no idea why. But,  I can tell you that taking a walk along the beach is a wonderful experience of architectural sweetness! Each beach house or cottage is different. Some are obviously quite old and they are begging to be restored. While others have kept their historical charm. Then there are those that have been restored and greatly modernized - some with too heavy a hand and others just right for my taste.
 
The other super reason to visit the place, especially if you are a biker or walker, is the promenade by the beach that stretches for at least close to five miles. The path, in general, is wide enough for walkers, joggers and bikes to share. Although one newly added section said in French, "Walking Path, Bikes Tolerated!" Got a chuckle out of this because I've never seen anything like it and there have been times when thoughtless bikers have been too close to walkers and their families.
 
So, if a few days of total relaxation on the beach, suit you, then come check out Chatelaillon Plage. And even if you forget a book, there is a little house centrally located, that has a wide selection for you to borrow or trade and there are lots for children and even a few in English too.

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.