Existing Member?

Europe 2017

A Two Donkey Town

FRANCE | Tuesday, 15 August 2017 | Views [356]

Off we went to a town, Port Barques" we've never been to. In a brochure, it said it was having a two day Festival and we like festivals!
 
Do you know the term "one horse town"? Well, this place is a "two donkey town"!  The "festival' consisted of some ribbon being stung from a few poles. Two little restaurants had chairs set outside and the town brought in three donkeys to offer rides to the children. There were oysters and mussels for sale and that was it! Or so we thought. Since it had taken thirty minutes to get there, we decided to walk their path, not very wide, along the water. Actually, we could see Fouras across the river which was quite cool.
 

Then we hopped into the car and drove a bit further out of town. And we discovered what makes Port Barques special. Of course it had nothing to do with a "festival" but they had constructed from the material found in its estuary, a gigantic natural swimming pool. (see photo). The pool refills during high tide and the sun warms the water several degrees higher than the larger body. And there was a great walking trail too although pretty hilly for this area.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.