Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Another Day, Another Castle

ITALY | Monday, 7 August 2017 | Views [828] | Comments [1]

Actually, Hennebont's claim to fame is what remains of its outer wall which was constructed during the Middle Ages. The city, existed within these walls and you can visit the interior with some buildings that have been reconstructed. It is also possible to climb the ramparts and walk around most of the original wall. Again, the city thrived because of its closeness to the river Blavet. That meant goods could be moved easily and commerce grew the middle class.
 
Today the city depends on the tourist trade and it has also become an equestrian center. There are horse shows daily and they also draw a large number of visitors  In addition, the Hennebont market happens to be one of the largest in the area. So, the town has a few different things going for it. I mention this because there are many towns in France that have not figured out how to draw in tourists and/or add to the town's coffer. And this is a real problem for France and its new President. There are so many lovely old towns that are showing signs of losing population and they ae suffering from high unemployment. You walk through some of them and there are too many stores closed or for rent. We have been seeing this trend develop for several years and it is great to see that some towns, due to their ingenuity, are turning things around.
 

The town has expanded beyond the old city. There are several new and modern apartment buildings built just outside of town. They all overlook a huge park that has also been developed for the pleasure of inhabitants. We enjoyed strolling around it and the lake. And for the purists who prefer the river, there is a super path that is 5 kilometers long and it takes you past horse farms and some lovely chateaus. You just have to tread carefully because the horses are exercised on the path! 

 

Comments

1

It is so lovely. I love reading about all your adventures.

  Beverly Lo Tempio Aug 11, 2017 1:16 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.