Existing Member?

Europe 2017

If You Can't Find It Here, You Can't Find It Anywhere!

FRANCE | Monday, 31 July 2017 | Views [613] | Comments [1]

One of the things we enjoy, okay, I enjoy, is strolling around a good local market. Most towns have one, so they can consist of anywhere from a few vendors to more than 200 of them. For example, the town of Auray, and I do mean the entire central part of town, is taken over. We've gone a couple of times, but frankly, I find it too large. At times it is practically impossible to move. There are just too many people to enjoy the ambience let alone look at the merchandise without being elbowed hit by a child, crashed into with a baby carriage, or breathing in the smoke of some idiot who just can't resist lighting up a cigarette!
 
The good news, however, is that the most dangerous object that maims a market goer, has been missing this summer. Perhaps, a law has finally been passed banning  little old ladies with rolling shopping carts, the size of a medium size suitcase from entering the market. The women are usually small so it is easy to miss them until you get whacked! They use the carts like a cane to clear a path in front of them regardless of who or what they hit or run over. Sometimes in a blockage of people I've seen the cart used a a battering ram! Don't miss them at all!
 
Yesterday we drove over to Trinite sur Mer for their market and it was perfect. I must say, I wasn't really too surprised since it is such a upscale place right on the water with a nice beach and fancy yacht club. In fact, one of the Rothschild's kept his racing sailboat here. (It was the biggest one in port. Now, there are several huge ones, so I wasn't sure if it was still there.
 
Parking was a challenge but we persevered and finally found a spot not too far from the market. Close to the center of town, a huge parking lot is turned into the market area along with a few streets that are blocked off to traffic. Stalls are close to one another but there is more space between rows. This allows the large crowds to move more freely without feeling like packed sardines. And the quality and quantity of merchandise is staggering. There were even items that we had not seen at the Auray market.
 
There were lots of homemade jams, jellies, sausages, 100's of different cheeses, and Kouign Amann's and everyone kept offering samples. You could easily fill up!
And there were also several different merchants selling products I had never seen before. The big summer toy here is a rubber ball that is attached to a string that stretches and it has another band, which goes around the wrist. The ball bounces back toward the person throwing the ball. So, a child or adult can practice catching a ball without someone throwing it back to them! And because it is attached to the wrist, the ball can't go to far astray. Anyone seen this in the States? Of course the spinners are very big here too, ranging in price from two euros to 8.
 
There was also a kitchen gadget that made fancy designs in ordinary food like cantaloupe, tomatoes and all sorts of other edibles. And, she made it look so simple.
 
The market also had a few artisans, mostly jewelry. But, there was someone who made tiny little leather shoes for infants. They aren't made for walking, but they were really adorable. There was also a person, who I spoke with, who designed very elegant hats that were made out of all natural fabrics. There were several different styles, all available in white or beige. He has a shop in Carnac and I just may have to pay him a visit.
 

I really enjoyed meandering through this market and I didn't feel as if I had been fighting for a space to place my feet all morning!

 

Comments

1

What ... no sock monkeys ?
The market sounds marvelous ... wish I was there shopping and sampling with you .... We could send Ed and Steve to the gelato shop !

  Susan & Abe Aug 1, 2017 4:24 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.