Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Around Town La Spezia Italy

ITALY | Thursday, 6 July 2017 | Views [698]

La Spezia is a nice little town for recuperating from a car accident. It has lots of old buildings which are decorated with colonnades and this makes it possible to walk a fair distance in the shade. There are also lots of benches for a quick rest. We are located quite centrally and within easy walking is a supermarket, where we are all ready known. Their baguettes are very good and so is their fresh fruit! One young cashier works long hours and seems to get a kick out of our attempt to speak Italian with her. We get a big greeting from her every day.
 
Directly across the street from our apartment is supposedly the best bakery in town. We had breakfast there the other day (my first attempt at a walk outside the apartment) and their pastries were delicious as was the coffee. The people never stopped coming in, so it seems the quality of their baked goods is no secret! (Watch out French  pastries, the Italians are coming.) And next to them is the "best" Gelateria in town. Ed will have to testify to that as he is tasting his way through multiple flavors. So far, I think the strawberry is his favorite.
We also have found have an excellent candy shop near by and the Italian chocolate is very, very good.The shop's name is La Dolce Vita and we now get a wave from  the owner as we stroll by. We've also struggled to converse with the pharmacist (but she speaks some English) and a dry cleaner as well as other locals. People are friendly and greet us as we meander by.
 
Within a few blocks there are at least 20 plus little coffee shops, take out prepared food shops, tiny little bars serving spirits and snacks, and Italian
bakeries and ice cream shops.It's hard not to drawn in to sample something! Especially because all those different focaccia's look and smell so good... 
 
On Friday, a large section of the old town hosts "Market Day". Oh what fun to stroll through the sidewalks with temporary stalls set up selling everything from Murano glass to Max Mara "like" clothing! And the prices for most goods are really, really reasonable! I kid you not! Just guess how much two pair of designer slacks and one pair of grey suede ballet slippers cost? Darn, why didn't I bring that extra suitcase!
 

We'd really like to get to Cinque Terre by boat. But, we learned today that the sea is too ruff and the boats are not expected to go out until 2 days from now. Interesting, because two cruise ships are due in tomorrow and one of the main attractions is a tour by boat to Cinque Terre. Guess they will have to go by bus or train but no cars or buses are allowed in the town unless you live there!

 

CHECK GALLERY FOR ADDITIONAL PHOTOS

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.