Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Yikes, Athens Really Looks Different!

ITALY | Friday, 30 June 2017 | Views [695] | Comments [4]

Of course I look different too after 40 plus years. When I was here many years ago, you could see the Acropolis from anywhere in Athens! It was the beacon on the hill. There was some excavation going on but nothing like the operations of today! The other thing that was mind boggling to me, is the expansion in size of what has been excavated and restored. If my memory serves me, the site is eight or nine times bigger than it was then. I still have photos I took at home so that will help orientate me.
 
It is truly amazing the engineering feats that were accomplished 1000's of years ago without all the technology that we have today...
 
Our guide package included an I-pad screen that projected a replica of each building as it stood when new as well as interior scenes with the original painted walls as well as gold decorations. To be standing there and able to step back in time and feel that you are actually present in a particular building, was quite an experience. Then, unfortunately, the sun was just overhead and made viewing the screen impossible. But, we were quite lucky because for about the first 40 or so minutes, we had the place to ourselves. We were off the ship at 7 a.m. and among the first to arrive. By the time we left there was an hour plus wait to enter the area and the sun was causing people to drop like flies- well over 100 degrees!
 
Just down the street is the Acropolis Museum. It houses some of the many treasures excavated and restored from the site. Someone in our group made the mistake of asking about the "Elgin Marbles". Our guide, a charming and very well educated woman, FROZE. Then calmly replied, "You mean the Greek Marbles that were stolen by Lord Elgin? They belong here and the copies that we have should be in the British Museum." Very touchy subject...
 
Our tour of  the Acropolis was one of the highlights of this cruise. It is impossible to describe the wonders of this sacred place, in its Golden Age, where Democracy was born. One can't help think about our own country and what will be written about the period we are now in... 
 
The Greek people were so very welcoming and friendly. As you know their economy is doing really poorly and unemployment, especially for young people is extremely high, but they don't hassle you as in some other countries...

 

Comments

1

Sounds like a great trip!!!

  Margot White Jun 30, 2017 4:08 AM

2

The "I-Pad" experience sounds amazing !

  Susan & Abe Jun 30, 2017 4:39 AM

3

So the guy asking about the Elgin Marbles was being deliberately provocative and got the reaction he was looking for. There's one in every group.
Enjoying the blog.

  Paula Eckerty Jun 30, 2017 5:04 AM

4

Sounds wonderful except for the heat!

  Bonnie Jul 2, 2017 12:05 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.