Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Walking Tallinn, Skype's Home

NETHERLANDS | Thursday, 25 August 2016 | Views [423]

Tallinn, Estonia is truly a gem. The entire old city, which is quite large, is a UNESCO, World Heritage Site (We walked over 8 miles in the “old city”). It is steeped in history and beauty. And you can see the different cultural influences in the architecture. Some buildings actually date back to the early Middle Ages. There is one church tower that in the 15th century was the tallest building in the world. Other structures like the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, date back to the time of Catherine the Great when Tallinn was ruled by Russia.

Within the walls, one finds remarkable craftsmanship. There are hundreds of little shops displaying handmade products ranging from sweaters, to leather goods, and glassblowing and pottery. Shopkeepers are very friendly and helpful even if they don't speak English. Of course, most of the young people do speak it.

Unlike Oslo, the old city and the new are completely separated by the ancient fortress wall. Since we were here two years ago, the new city has undergone unbelievable changes. Huge cranes now dot the landscape and just about every other street is being torn up. Luxury apartments are being built near the dock and construction trucks rumble back and forth.

We very much enjoyed our day. It was interesting at one point when in a shopping center, a few different merchants spoke Estonian to me as if they were willing me to understand them. Estonian sounds Russian and they are both “Greek” to me!

Enjoy the many photos of this special place. And yes, Skype was developed here. It is a very “tech savvy” country.

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.