Existing Member?

Viola is out there... Somewhere nce upon a time, in a land not so far away, existed a violist who loved languages and wanted to travel. A lot. When I say a lot it REALLY means a LOT. So, she left the country a couple of times. Her last stopover is Dubai and soon she will fly away... ag

To adventuring... Cairin style

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 30 July 2009 | Views [583]

It was everything done on a rush on my trip to Scotland. I knew I would have only one week as holiday in August to celebrate my birthday, however the agonizing decision of where to go was postponed until the last minute.

My delay almost cost me the trip, as the period of summer is very high season for the flight company employees to travel. It means most of the flights everywhere were fully  booked. I decided to do things almost with blind eyes: I would book the trip to the first destination with available seats, after I got the tickets, I would decide where I would stay.

First I booked the flight to Birmingham, UK. The problem was that there would be no flights back from Birmingham to Dubai, so the closest airport with available flights would be Newcastle, UK.

Ok, flights booked, seats confirmed. What the hell is there to see in Birmingham??? I went online to look it up. Imagine my suprise to find out that they have the Cadbury's factory just a couple of minutes away from the city center, the Warwick castle - the one from the movie Robin Hood Prince of Thieves just a stone throw away.

There I went to find a couchsurfing friend in the area. After several NO's I found a friendly fellow couchsurfer who opened his home for me. Not only he picked me up at the train station, even though I phoned him on the last minute informing him I would arrive earlier, he left me on my own on his flat while he went out two nights on a row. I had the place all by myself.

Sweet.

Tags: birmingham, on the road, united kingdom

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.