Existing Member?

Viola is out there... Somewhere nce upon a time, in a land not so far away, existed a violist who loved languages and wanted to travel. A lot. When I say a lot it REALLY means a LOT. So, she left the country a couple of times. Her last stopover is Dubai and soon she will fly away... ag

New beginnings under the sun

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Sunday, 8 June 2008 | Views [1515] | Comments [2]

Change is always difficult. It takes courage and a healthy dose of insanity to move out of the security of your family nest and fly away.

Dubai is something different from anything I've ever seen in my very short but travelled life.

Here nature has to bow down to Man's will in order to create bigger better and stronger structures. Archtechture is taken to a new level of enthusiasm in each skycraper that rises from the dusty sand dunes of Dubai Marina or the Palms.

Buildings appear suddenly overnight, as giant mushrooms defying the order of nature.

Construction workers work from sunup to sundown under terrible condition under a sun that may reach up to 47 degrees Celsius.

It is the mighty of man filling out the skyline of the city.

It is so hot and the humidity is so big that we feel like a bun inside a extremely hot oven. 24/7.

The only thing that might make things a little more bearable are air conditioners. Buses, cars, hotels, shopping centers are blasting cold air in order to coll down our bodies after simple seconds in the soaring sauna we have outside.

The thermometer in my bedroom marks 19 Celsius. I don't plan to change that so soon.

You wanna know what is even more scarier than that? Summer is just starting. Things will get worst before they get better.

I bougth a sim card from Du telecom to use here. It is great to make calls back home as it is very cheap. However it is a very crappy line as nobody can reach me on the damn thing. I really have to change it to Etisalat. Bravo Huawei!

It is really bizarre how man behave here. They don't stare at you. They stick their eyes on you and make you feel like a huge bunch of steak being dangled in front of a starved mob. They've act as they have never seen a women before. Or if at least they haven't seen one in a very long time. What is really sad is that, in some cases, they really haven't seen females for a very long time.

Since I've arrived I've been given six nationalities.

People have asked if I'm:

Indian, Pakistani, Srilankan, Filipina, South African, American...

Nobody guesses I'm from Brazil. Cool. Let's keep them guessing.

Tags: dubai, travel, weather

Comments

1

Oi Kézia,

Que máximo este país.
Espero que dê tudo certo por ai e que Deus continue te abençoando!!!

Bjus,

Thati

  Thatiana-violino Jun 14, 2008 4:31 AM

2

I still pick up the Indian nationalitie rsrs
Viu como as coisas são diferentes, não falei, não falei, mas diferente sempre é bom e excitante então tem que aproveitar.
Bj

  Carol Valeriano Jun 14, 2008 11:33 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.