Existing Member?

Turning 30 South American Style With the dreaded 30th birthday looming, I ran away to South America to celebrate the landmark birthday in style.

Feeling hot hot hot in La Falda

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 24 January 2008 | Views [883]

We took our cue from the rest of Buenos Aires that there really is no point staying in the city during the scorching summer months, so off we headed. The rest of the city seems to camp in a beach resort down south for the month, but one look at the place on the TV and we knew we couldn't´t hack it. Scorching temperatures and ever square inch of beach literally covered in bodies. Thousands of them, with more waiting to get on the moment you pick up your towel. Wimps that we are we decided to head west instead, to the cooler more temperate air of the Cordoban hills.
First stop was La Falda, a nice enough wee town with some pretty campsites scattered around. We pitched our tiny tiny little tent by the shores of the lake, got a bottle of wine and watched the sun set while some gits with guitars sang Argentinian folk songs. Always someone there to ruin it for you! We met a bloke from Israel who grew up in Argentina and was full of stories. Not sure if all, or any of them were true, but he was a nice enough wee fellow. We bought him a couple of beers but wimped out of accepting an invite to a BBQ at his house as his walls were literally covered in sheep skins and we were quite concerned he would slaughter a goat before our very eyes.
Spent our last day there sun bathing by the lake. The cool wind belied the very hot temperatures and my belly got so burnt I resembled a freshly roasted pig for a week, before all the skin came off in massive sheets. Hurt like hell.
Next up, Steve got on his bike and cycled to Alta Gracia, with me following on the bus. I had quite a hike to the bus stop, by the time I got there I was literally covered in sweat. I just managed to dry off by the time I got to Alta Gracia then I had another hike to the hostel. Arrived looking sweaty, smelly and generally bedraggled but the scheming owner let me in any way. The room was little better than a sweat box but I was so tired I couldn´t care less. I went out for a drink of water and found the only store in town manned by a frazzled looking old fellow, his stock on the floor around his feet. When I walked ion he grimaced and moaned Ahhh Dios Mio, Hace Calor "Oh my God, it is so hot". I just looked on in sympathy. I fell asleep waking only when Steve arrived, looking even worse with sun screen and sweat smeared all over his body. He said he nearly fainted twice on the side of the road. We couldn´t sleep that night as it was so hot, we feared if we fell asleep we would stop breathing. We found out the following day that it had been 42 degrees. FORTY TWO.

Tags: argentina, campfire, camping, cordoba, la falda, lake, mate, mountains

About katrinamckeever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.