Existing Member?

Turning 30 South American Style With the dreaded 30th birthday looming, I ran away to South America to celebrate the landmark birthday in style.

Ciao Buenos Aires

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 12 January 2008 | Views [896]

Some things in life are just too bizzare to casually ignore. They must be investigated, savoured and enjoyed. I believe that the acclaimed Buenos Aires theme park Teirra Santa (The Holy Land) is such a place. A bit like like Disney land but with people dressed as Jesus rather than Mickey Mouse. It boasts the worlds largest manger and a chance to watch the resurection live, every half hour on the half hour. Oh what glorious fun. The only thing missing was a roller coaster. We could not make our minds up if it was incredibly blasphemos and in very bad taste to charge people 15 pesos to walk into a theme park where the staff were dressed as monks, holy women and characters from the Bible, but it was certainly way up there on the surreal counter. There was an actual nun there causing untold confusion as people were bothering her the whole while for directions to the toilet. Sadly we missed our chance to watch the resurection as it was cancelled due to technical difficulties the day we visited. We were rather amazed to see that according to this Agentinian legend, Ghandi and Martin Luther also had houses in Jersulam.

But now the whole of the city is shutting down for the summer, the closed signs have gone up above most of the smaller shops, annoucning they will shut down for up to a month for the summer, so enough desisting. Steve and I will follow suit tomorrow. Not the lucious white sands of the Uruguayian beaches for us though, oh no. We are heading to the hills and lakes of southern Chile, via Mendoza, which you might have noticed from your local off licence produces rather a lot of lovely lovely Malbec. Steve's tent has seen better days after tumbling down a cliff in Bolivia so we are hoping for good weather and no insects. Will keep you posted though, ciao for now.

Tags: argentina, buenos aires, holiday, latin america, south america, tierra santa

About katrinamckeever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.